Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If I file my daughters returns separately do I lose the dependancy deduction and the child tax credit that I would get if I include them on
my return?
Thanks in advance
Chrip
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
If I file my daughters returns separately do I lose the dependancy deduction and the child tax credit that I would get if I include them on
my return?

No. The issue of dependency is not affected by whether the dependent files a return or not, except for married dependents. If the dependent files a return the dependency is noted on it, and the dependent gets no personal exemption and a specially-calculated standard deduction.

Phil
Phil,
Thanks very much for your help. To clarify, can I claim the $3400 exemption on my return and on my daughter's return?
Also if I file hers separately I still get the $1000 child credit on my return. (Sorry if I'm repeating myself but I want to make sure I get it right).

Chrip
To clarify, can I claim the $3400 exemption on my return and on my daughter's return?

Not on both returns. Typically, it will only be on your return, as she is typically your dependent. Since you claim her as a dependent, she cannot claim a personal exemption on her own return.

Also if I file hers separately I still get the $1000 child credit on my return.

If you otherwise qualify, yes. The fact that your daughter files a return does not affect your eligibility for the child tax credit.

--Peter
Thanks very much for your help. To clarify, can I claim the $3400 exemption on my return and on my daughter's return?

No. Even if she files her own return, you get the $3400 exemption. She does not. She also gets a reduced standard deduction.

Also if I file hers separately I still get the $1000 child credit on my return. (Sorry if I'm repeating myself but I want to make sure I get it right).

If you otherwise qualify for the child credit, you will get it whether or not she files a separate return.

Ira
Ira,
How much would her reduced standard deduction be (or how do I find out?).
Thanks again.

Chrip
No. of Recommendations: 1
How much would her reduced standard deduction be (or how do I find out?).

See the 1040 instructions.

Phil