Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello -

Last year, we had to file a tax return for my son, as his income exceeded the threshold for claiming him as a dependent. (This was due to Social Security finally paying him multiple years of past-due benefits from his dad's account.) Now that his payments have normalized (he only received his 2012 benefits in calendar year 2012), can I resume filing the parental return, with him returning to a dependent status? He's just now turning 13, so there isn't much chance he'll have additional income over the SS benefits for the next few years.

Thanks in advance!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.