Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband and I will file a joint federal return this year, as it was a better option than filing separately. However, I am unsure of how to file our state returns because he works for Pennsylvania (pays PA taxes) and I work for the District of Columbia (pay DC taxes). We both live and work in the District, but he works for one of the PA offices of the House of Representatives and is technically a resident of PA. Do we file two separate state returns? Does DC and PA allow a different filing status than the federal return? Any advice would be appreciated.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.