Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey Gang,

Sorry for the rookie fumblings - this bad boy needed it's own post!

This is my last tow question... probably.

Okay. Again, (sorry for repetition) the vehicle I need to tow is a 3,700 lb trailer that may sometime have another 400 lbs in it for a total of 4,100 lbs.

I have just bought a 2001 Yukon with Vortec 5300 V8 SFI Gas Engine.

The step-bumper reads 5,000 lb maximum trailer weight and 500 lb tongue weight. However, the manual says a 5300 V8 with a 3.73 axle ratio should pull 7,800 lbs. When I called the dealer he said that you defer to the step bumper. (So where the heck is the manual writer pulling his numbers out of?)

Perplexingly, the way to determine tongue weight is 10-15% of the trailer weight. So if I'm hauling 4,100 lbs then 10% equals 410 lbs and 15% equals 615. This is like a freaking Abbot and Costello routine! How can the maximum trailer weight be allowed to exceed the maximum tongue weight? If I'm being an ass I apologige, but hey - I grew up riding subway cars in Sunny Brooklyn, NY.

Some key stats...

The GVW is 6,500 lbs.
The vehicle comes with "heavy duty" trailer equipment.
The axle ratio is 3.73.

Bottom line - if I get a class IV weight-distributing hitch I should feel perfectly safe and comfortable in this big bad compensating for the fact the Lord made me a short man vehicle? Yay or nay?

All help is appreciated as I really don't want to jacknife on a highway and be smashed into a fiery death by a speeding tractor trailer.

As always, again, thanks in advance.

Finally,

BroadwayDan

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.