Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
The 6-week ultrasound showed one embryo. The practical side of me was relieved not to see twins, though the less practical side of me gave a small, wistful sigh. Both sides of me were happy to see no signs of an ectopic pregnancy :-) I was prepared to not see the heartbeat and was excited to pick it up right away. I'm still a little nervous about miscarriage (not actively worrying, but very aware of the risks), so I was relieved to have made it to this milestone.

I'll have one more ultrasound with the RE (at 8 weeks), then my care will be transferred over to a practitioner I choose for the rest of the pregnancy.

The RE confirmed that the IVF cycle didn't offer any explanations for my infertility. I responded well to the ovulation-stimulating drugs, produced a lot of eggs, all of which were fertilized, and a large number of which were cultured to the blastocyst (5-day) stage. (I hadn't realized this before, but I guess the chances of getting to the blastocyst stage in the culture are about 25%.) My diagnosis, therefore, remains "unexplained infertility." The RE suggested that there could be transport issues (eggs not getting picked up by the tubes after being released from the ovary), but stressed that this is mere speculation.

The RE also says that having six frozen blastocysts is really good. I'm nowhere near ready to start making plans for them, but it's nice to know that they're there.

Bookgrrl's recent heart-wrenching news came the day after the ultrasound - I had logged on planning to share my news with you all, but reading BG's post was an all too painful reminder that this board is not the place for ongoing pregnancy updates. I decided not to post this (but to continue posting on infertility topics!) for fear of causing pain or appearing to flaunt my good fortune. Now, though, almost a week later, I find I want to at least provide a little closure on my IVF cycle before I move this type of post elsewhere. I hope none of you are upset by this. Your support and cheers have been wonderful, and I hope I can continue to contribute my thoughts and knowledge to this fantastic community.

- Parkway
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.