No. of Recommendations: 0
One of the minor cost-saving things I do is to not polish my finger or toenails (I haven't gone for a mani, let alone pedi, since about 2001, except for the day before my daughter's wedding).

Here I am in a waiting room with lots of women ranging from teenage to older than me, everyone in sandals, and the only woman with polish is older than me--and only on her toes. Ooops…middle aged woman just arrived with god-awful-looking sky blue polish on her toes (and lots of tattoos and toe jewelry…but I love her ankle bracelet and unusual olive-brown cloth sandals. Her ?deliberately? torn jeans (such as I wore in college!) and bra straps showing (ditto-) are not such a great look on a woman about age 50, however ;-)

Also in style as I'm one of 4 women with naturally white hair. I stopped coloring mine when I retired nd I'm noticing more and more women going au natural.

Probably saving $100+/month by not doing the professional grooming thing. Most women I know get their hair done weekly. I have never done that, but I used to do every 3 weeks when I was working. My mother stopped coloring her hair about age 70, but still gets it done every other week and nail wraps, too.

DId any others of you females change your professional grooming habits in retirement? How about the guys? When my husband switched from Silicon Valley mgt to teaching, he changed from getting haircuts about every other month to every 6 months (his hair grows really slowly, though--not like mine…I cut my own and have to do it every few weeks).
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.