Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
One of the minor cost-saving things I do is to not polish my finger or toenails (I haven't gone for a mani, let alone pedi, since about 2001, except for the day before my daughter's wedding).

Here I am in a waiting room with lots of women ranging from teenage to older than me, everyone in sandals, and the only woman with polish is older than me--and only on her toes. Ooops…middle aged woman just arrived with god-awful-looking sky blue polish on her toes (and lots of tattoos and toe jewelry…but I love her ankle bracelet and unusual olive-brown cloth sandals. Her ?deliberately? torn jeans (such as I wore in college!) and bra straps showing (ditto-) are not such a great look on a woman about age 50, however ;-)

Also in style as I'm one of 4 women with naturally white hair. I stopped coloring mine when I retired nd I'm noticing more and more women going au natural.

Probably saving $100+/month by not doing the professional grooming thing. Most women I know get their hair done weekly. I have never done that, but I used to do every 3 weeks when I was working. My mother stopped coloring her hair about age 70, but still gets it done every other week and nail wraps, too.

DId any others of you females change your professional grooming habits in retirement? How about the guys? When my husband switched from Silicon Valley mgt to teaching, he changed from getting haircuts about every other month to every 6 months (his hair grows really slowly, though--not like mine…I cut my own and have to do it every few weeks).
Print the post Back To Top
DId any others of you females change your professional grooming habits in retirement? How about the guys? When my husband switched from Silicon Valley mgt to teaching, he changed from getting haircuts about every other month to every 6 months (his hair grows really slowly, though--not like mine…I cut my own and have to do it every few weeks).

I have never had my nails or toes done. Many years ago I watched a show about the nastiness of the nail salons and the fact that you could get an infection and I thought, no, I don't need to look for trouble.
I have ugly feet and have never worn sandals anyway.
As far as my hair goes, when I lived in NY and worked in Manhattan, I had my hair cut at Vidal Sassoon at a cost of about $140 plus tip.
They did such a fantastic job that people would stop me on the street to remark about my hair! Now I get my haircut locally and save $100 on each haircut. The woman does a good job. I colored my hair for many years. I had dark brown hair when I was young. I kept dyeing my hair dark brown and it turned black. I spent a fortune at the salon to lighten my hair but after charging me $150, I realized they did not do a good enough job so I just kept getting it cut and started to dye it dark blonde. I love my hair now. I only dye it once a month and the white/grey mixes well with the dark blonde and my roots no longer show.
Yay. Maybe someday I will just stop dyeing it but for now my hair maintenance has gotten a bit easier. I also look younger with the lighter hair which is a big plus.
Not retired yet but I will stop coloring my hair when I do. Might cut it short too. Right now just trying to look as young as possible so people are nicer to me. Oh and although I wear almost no makeup now that'll go too when I retire. Style wise I'll dress the same as I do now outside of work. But all those polo's will get thrown in the trash. I hate those things.

lovepeace