No. of Recommendations: 0

Finally - My larger point is that the way we are doing it in this country isn't right. Two many fields require a bachelor's degree. More and more you see fields of study turning from 2 year programs to 4 year programs when, really, change ought to be going the other way. I am all for making college affordable (without crushing student loans) for kids who have the ability and desire for a 4 year degree. I just want to see fewer courses of study that require such a degree and I want to see kids being given more options.

Determined,

I agree with your largest point the most. We do however need a balancing act between societal needs and individual needs, so we need to raise the idea of a cost associated with not graduating high school and not being able to go on for higher education. Of all the places where this country is failing that is primarily it, high schools not able to graduate more students.

However, at the graduate degree level, Asians make more than all other races/ethnicities, including Whites.

Putnid,

thanks for the article/report etc.....

Asian/Indian/Russian degrees fall into a few camps. People are extremely talented and get fantastic educations or people get a piece of paper and really cant do anything at all or people get an advanced piece of paper in cutting hair. Not all Asian degrees are standardized as much as in the US or EU. That was true till schools went online, now we have the Phoenix which puts out useless degrees online. If you ask a major employer if they will hire a Phoenix graduate they will tell you flat out, 'no', as of a few years ago. Y'all can correct me if that has changed.

I have a small story of a local gasoline station that hired a guy from Hong Kong with a Ph.D in chemical engineering. In the afternoons many guys would get together over coffee. This gas station was in a conservative valley where I live. I am the almost the only liberal in the group. This Ph.D in chem eng is still probably working for Fuel Cell out of Torrington, CT. He was a process engineer which entailed answering questions if the workers had any questions. This Ph.D was a very poor speaker in English after 12 years in the US. The story goes back about two years now.

The Ph.D could not operate the cash register at the gas station. And he seemed to be in need of sleep all the time. Lines would form and the good old American boys would get irate as you can imagine.

So one day I suggested that a Ph.D from China was not "NECESSARILY" "ALWAYS" the same as a Ph.D in the states.

The good old boys began to challenge this guy on his credentials. And at first the attendant moved down from claiming a Ph.D to a Masters, and so the boys began to question the Masters....and then the Bachelors, and then the two year degree, and then the processing cert...and finally the high school diploma......nothing....the guy had literally nothing, but a lie to enter this nation and a friend possibly at his company that got him a job over the Americans who needed jobs.

ofw,

Dave
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.