Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am so excited that I just paid off my NextCard balance (the worst credit card I have ever had!). The problem is I just got a bill for an additional $45 in finance charges. I looked on my statement and it clearly states that to avoid additional finance charges to pay the balance off by the due date. I did this so how can they still charge me? Also I appologize if this has been answered before. I am new and when I looked I didn't find anything.
Print the post Back To Top
I would check to see if it is two-cycle billing, or if they tried to post the payment after the billing cycle. If they tried the late post trick, check to see what date the check cleared.
I would check to see if it is two-cycle billing, or if they tried to post the payment after the billing cycle. If they tried the late post trick, check to see what date the check cleared.

What Mike said. But even if it cleared after the due date, still give them a call and ask if they will waive the finance charges (explaining you sent the payment allowing enough time to for the pymt to post by the due date). The worse they can say is "no" and I have gotten a "yes" a few times at such a request, though not with NextCard.

Ester
No. of Recommendations: 3
I am so excited that I just paid off my NextCard balance (the worst credit card I have ever had!). The problem is I just got a bill for an additional $45 in finance charges. I looked on my statement and it clearly states that to avoid additional finance charges to pay the balance off by the due date. I did this so how can they still charge me? Also I appologize if this has been answered before. I am new and when I looked I didn't find anything.

It sounds like you've been carrying a balance on NextCard. If that's the case, the "grace period" (no finance charges as long as balance is paid by due date) doesn't apply -- the grace period, for old & new charges, disappears as soon as you carry any portion of a balance from one month to the next. So they can still charge you interest up to the day when you paid the balance off.

Congrats on dumping NextCard!

Tanaquil
Thanks for the reply. This was my first time posting here and you were very helpful (although I still don't like the answer but oh well!). NextCard is really devil's spawn!