Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello Fools,
I am a new investor, and currently I am only doing my e.s.401k and soon will invest in IRAs and maybe an education plan. Does anybody here have any advice on finding a good accountant? I am pretty low income (maybe 35k) and I don't want to spend too much. I would like an accountant who will also advise me on tax consequences before I choose certain investments. I don't think H&R Block can cut it anymore. Any advice on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.
TY in adance and Fool on!
-Robert
Print the post Back To Top
Ask a few friends or acquaintances for recommendations. Any accountant worth their salt will be willing to spend 1/2 hour or so with you at no charge to learn about your situation and see if the professional relationship is a good fit. (Although you should expect a free consultation to be at the accountant's convenience - it just isn't going to happen during tax season, for example.)

I'd find out about their experience, pricing structure and an estimate for your needs, professional credentials, and maybe some references of satisfied clients. I'm sure others can add more to the list.

--Peter

P.S. If you're in Southern California, I know a really great accountant! ;-)
I am a new investor, and currently I am only doing my e.s.401k and soon will invest in IRAs and maybe an education plan. Does anybody here have any advice on finding a good accountant? I am pretty low income (maybe 35k) and I don't want to spend too much. I would like an accountant who will also advise me on tax consequences before I choose certain investments. I don't think H&R Block can cut it anymore. Any advice on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

You may find this TMF article helpful:
http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/taxes11.htm

David Jacobs
I would like an accountant who will also advise me on tax consequences before I choose certain investments. I don't think H&R Block can cut it anymore. Any advice on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

If you are leery about your H&R Block preparer, you could switch to a H&R Block Premium office if one is in your area. They have preparers experienced with more complex returns (trusts, partnerships, estates, etc.) and also have brokers and financial advisors on site.

Dave

Robert asked: Does anybody here have any advice on finding a good accountant?

The suggestion to ask friends is a good one. Also you may check with your state's CPA Society. These are named differently from state to state. For example in Georgia, it is the Georgia Society of CPAs while in Florida, it is the Florida Institute of CPAs. These state societies usually have a free referral service.

Good luck!

Will
Enrolled Agents (EA's) are tax professional licensed by the Director of Practice to represent you in all tax matters before IRS.

You can find one in your area on the web site for the National Association of Enrolled Agents. www.naea.org