No. of Recommendations: 0
I also posted this on the Folly in Texas board:

My parents are approaching retirement and need the financial advice of a professional. Does anyone know a good way to find a reliable independent financial advisor in San Antonio? Unfortunately I live in Seattle so I'm not able to help them as much as I like. I'm afraid my folks aren't terribly money savvy, and I'd hate for them to try and figure their investments out themselves. (Especially when last night my mom said "I want to get the best return on my money that I can!" Warning bells!!) They are open to the idea of getting outside help, but I don't want them going to somebody who has their own interests in mind. Any suggestions?
LR
Print the post Back To Top
The best approach is to ask friends and neighbors for suggestions and then meet with them and carefully review their philosophy and qualifications.
No. of Recommendations: 1
And beware of an "impartial" advisor who earns a commission based on investments they recommend. Talk about the fox guarding the henhouse! =)

Thanks!
Joe
Greetings, Lorieansom, and welcome. You asked:

My parents are approaching retirement and need the financial advice of a professional. Does anyone know a good way to find a reliable independent financial advisor in San Antonio?

You'll find some tips on doing just that in my article "How to Choose a Financial Advisor" at http://www.fool.com/retirement/retireeport/2001/retireeport010416.htm.

Regards..Pixy
Author: lorieransom Date: 1/16/02 12:02 PM Number: 33325
My parents are approaching retirement and need the financial advice of a professional. Does anyone know a good way to find a reliable independent financial advisor in San Antonio? Unfortunately I live in Seattle so I'm not able to help them as much as I like. I'm afraid my folks aren't terribly money savvy, and I'd hate for them to try and figure their investments out themselves. (Especially when last night my mom said "I want to get the best return on my money that I can!" Warning bells!!) They are open to the idea of getting outside help, but I don't want them going to somebody who has their own interests in mind. Any suggestions?

There have already been several fine suggestions. One that I would add is for you to give them a few really good books on investing to read:

'Retire Early and Live Well' by Gillette Edmunds
'Common Sense on Mutual Funds' by John C. Bogle
'Stocks for the Long Run' by Jeremy Siegel
'The Intelligent Asset Allocator' by William Bersnstein

I would read them in this order. They're all available on

www.amazon.com and www.barnesandnoble.com .

RK
No. of Recommendations: 3
One warning-

Even if trusted friends and neighbors say "Oh this advisor is the best thing since sliced bread", don't take what they say at face value. It's possible that the advisor could be deceiving them.
Make sure they don't go to a 'commissioned broker.' Try to find a "fee-only" financial advisor.

You might try the following link:
http://www.napfa.org/

Good Luck,
Caat