Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Is there some screening program or web site that anyone uses to come up with potential Rule Makers? I sort of do it manually, that is, just paying attention to things I use or buy or see. Also, I get some good ideas from this list, but I was wondering about how I might find some others that I haven't thought of.
Print the post Back To Top
How 'bout the Motley Fool providing such a service. Run the Wilshire 5000 (or start with the S&P 500) through the metrics every quarter and post a ranking. Update it as companies report quarterly results. Readers can check in on it much like the RP4 rankings. Crown a King regularly, write about rising stars in nightly postings. Even charge for it. I'd be happy to subscribe, even to pay in advance (to help your flowie of course :-)
How 'bout the Motley Fool providing such a service. Run the Wilshire 5000 (or start with the S&P 500) through the metrics
every quarter and post a ranking. Update it as companies report quarterly results. Readers can check in on it much like the
RP4 rankings. Crown a King regularly, write about rising stars in nightly postings. Even charge for it. I'd be happy to
subscribe, even to pay in advance (to help your flowie of course :-)

Well, I was hoping more for information from someone about where there is a good screening web page, where you might be able to enter ranges for gross margins, profit margins, etc., which would give you a starting point. I'm sure TMF could put together and sell a spreadsheet like they do for the Foolish 8, but this should be much easier to screen out, so I don't think that would be necessary.
It would seem to me that such an automatic screening tool would be very hard, if not impossible, to put together. You could do a reasonable job screening on the criteria based on the companies' current financials and comparisons to the previous year. However, the brand-name and comparisons to competitors, which together make up a lot of the points, would be very hard to do if possible at all.

Since I have just read RM/RB, I haven't really gotten too much into searching for RM's yet. However, it would seem to me that the thing to do would be to look at each industry group which might have a RM (not all do) and look at the largent companies in each one. I noticed that the Daily Stocks search engine has a feature where you can sort all of the companies in a given industry group by market cap.

Some of the companies in such a screen would fall right out by observation, e.g., no noticable brand name recognition. You could, I think , very quickly make a list of 10-20 large caps for further study. Then start going through the financials.

I'd be interested on any feedback regarding this approack. Maybe there are some other ideas?
It would seem to me that such an automatic screening tool would be very hard, if not impossible, to put together. You could
do a reasonable job screening on the criteria based on the companies' current financials and comparisons to the previous year.
However, the brand-name and comparisons to competitors, which together make up a lot of the points, would be very hard to
do if possible at all.

Since I have just read RM/RB, I haven't really gotten too much into searching for RM's yet. However, it would seem to me
that the thing to do would be to look at each industry group which might have a RM (not all do) and look at the largent
companies in each one. I noticed that the Daily Stocks search engine has a feature where you can sort all of the companies in a
given industry group by market cap.

Some of the companies in such a screen would fall right out by observation, e.g., no noticable brand name recognition. You
could, I think , very quickly make a list of 10-20 large caps for further study. Then start going through the financials.

I'd be interested on any feedback regarding this approack. Maybe there are some other ideas?

This is the 'manual' method I was talking about already using. See how you don't have any help in weeding anything out? I'm not expecting a program to be able to rank companies according to the brand name criteria in RB/RM. I'm talking about a relatively simple screen that gives you a starting point, with market cap, gross margins, net margins, sales growth, etc. That would at least get you started and weed out most of the possibilities.
Go to www.marketguide.com, and click on screening.
Download the program called stockquest, you will be able to run a wide variety of screens.
You won't be able to look at all the Rule Maker factors, but you could (for example) search for companies in the consumer non-cyclical sector, with profit margins of 7% or more and market cap of $5B or more. Then you would have a list of companies to work from.
Awesome! -Thanks for the directions!