Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I know there are lots of opinions on paying off mortgage vs keeping those funds invested to keep working for you. And I feel I have a pretty good grasp of pros and cons of each. But I am hoping to get some responses to see how others out there have actually handled it. In about a year, we will have enough built up that we could pay off the mortgage. Of course, that is barring any BIG unforeseen expenses, and/or a major market meltdown. Not that we would wipe out everything we built up to pay it off, but crossing that line seems like a good time to start thinking about if/when. My thoughts go back and forth between keep that money working for us, since the mortgage rate is so low vs, that is our biggest, really only expense and our monthly budget would be drastically reduced and could realistically FIRE or at least cut way back on working without the mortgage.

I have pretty much resigned to just see what things look like when the time comes. For now, I am working on building up more of a cash position in investment acct (currently at about 4% or so). Then, if market is still at around, all time highs consider what is best option. If we have a big drop in overall market, I would be more inclined to invest/stay invested.

I guess I am just looking to see what others have done, or planning to do and how it has worked out, if they would do anything different.

Just for some background - other than mortgage, we have no debt. Outside of investment account, we have about 6 months expenses in savings. Basically have been working pretty hard, dedicated to get to this point and now it is starting to look like FIRE will become a reality.

I appreciate any and all responses, thoughts, ideas.

Kevin
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.