Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Well, I'm wide awake at 2:23AM (again), and while listening to some music, I started wondering what I would do all day long if I was FIREd, besides some physical exercise (I like swimming and cycling), and tinkering around with the computer, which makes up about 80% of my life right now.

I studied piano for more than 5 years, and even got to the level of giving small Bach and Mozart concertos. I had a great teacher (scholarship for 10 years in France, graduated as a "licensed solo pianist"), and really got to the point of loving the instrument. I have a second-hand Kawai at home, which became like a friend to me. I used to practice my lessons and exercises a for a half hour, and then play for hours just for the fun of it. I loved improvising, and though not very good at it, there are sometimes when you're simply inspired, and something nice comes out.

I'm listening right now to Chopin's first concerto for piano and orchestra, one of the finest piano concertos out there, in my humble opinion. And, even after having heard it literally dozens of times, I still get the goosebumps when the piano solo goes into a frenzy in the medium part of the Allegro Maestoso. And I still get the urge to shed a tear when listening to the very subtle way that the orchestra is intertwined with the piano solo in the Romance Larghetto, playing in perfect sincope. So amazing, and yet it seems so simple. Pure genius. I honestly believe Chopin deserved at least another 20 years of life. His contributions to piano music are simply amazing. But, I digress.

So, what would my FIREd hobby be? I'd probably buy a decent upright piano (ie, > Yamaha, maybe a Kawai or even a Steinway, budget allowing). And I would play it for as long as I wanted, without restrictions on time allowed to played, or music volume. I would play it with the same excitement I got when I first played my old Kawai. And I know I would never grow tired of it. I get this warm, fuzzy feeling just listening to the music, and this is greatly amplified when you're actually playing the music!

My dream is to someday be able to reach a piano soloist level, enough to be able to play the major piano concertos perfectly. I'm a bit disheartened (not in a bad way) when seeing so many young people playing concertos at age 16, but on the other hand, I somehow take comfort in the fact that a very famous pianist (I forget his name) got started in professional piano playing well beyond 50 years, and he played professionally for more than 30 years, dying well after reaching 80. So, I guess I still have a chance. ;-)

Oh, and the piano is very LBYM, by the way. You buy it once, and you just need to keep it away from moisture, and tune it once a year, maybe twice if you demand perfect tuning. Besides cleaning any dust on top of it, there is no other maintenace required. If it's a high quality piano, it would probably outlive me.

So, what would your FIREd hobby be?

Marcos
...wannabe pianist...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
The one thing I'm looking forward to is quilting. I love to hand quilt, but it takes a long time to complete one when I have to work full time. The last one I finished (a full/queen size) took me about eight months just to quilt it (although doing the piece work is pretty quick).

It's a pretty cheap hobby. Most fabric costs about 8 bucks or so a yard at the quilting store, but I've built up a quite a stash of fabric over the years, so I can reuse a lot of it in future quilts.

If I could FIRE early I'd dedicate the time required to play piano at a strong amateur level. I just started learning 9-10 months ago. While it's a lot of fun I don't have the time to invest in playing it properly.

I'm lucky to get in 1hr/week plus my weekly half hour lesson. I've only now learned my first black key and a couple chords. I've got years to play and get good, I'm only 28.

R.
No. of Recommendations: 1
There are too many hobbies to mention for me. I'm a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of a guy. My favorite sport was track & field because of all the various events, thus I became a decathlete so I could dabble in 10 different contests.

If I could FIRE right now, I would travel the US to sample different mountain biking trails since that is my current hobby going on 1 year now.

Here are some others I would start right away or later as I had time.

- kayaking
- rollerblading
- go back and finish my martial arts training to get at least a 1st degree black belt (currently a red/brown belt)
- compete in master's track & field (if this 42 year-old body could take it)
- Before sports took over my life, I enjoyed playing the piano and guitar and took lessons in both. I would most likely pick those up again. I've always had a strong desire to be able to play classical piano pieces. On the other end, I like heavy metal music so once I picked up the guitar again, I would like to learn bar-cords for some fun strumming, mind numbing jamming of my own.
- read more sci-fi
- study ancient history and possibly go back to school for an advanced degree. I'm particularly interested in historical anomalies that suggest a possible ancient advanced civilization before known recorded history.

There are more such as taking up rock climbing, sky diving, scuba diving and model airplane building.

I'll definitely need to FIRE if I ever want to get all that accomplished in a quality way.

decath
I like playing board games and would like to try to design one and/or see if that idea for a novel is worth working through.

If your last experience with board games dates back to monopoly or trivial pursuit or such, you are missing a lot. In Europe, where a form of the FIRE mentality is more common than in the US, boar games are much more popular. There was a big show in Essen, Germany to display the new models and over 200,000 attended this year. This is something like five times as many people as the largest U.S. game conventions attract if you subtract folks attending an event for other attractions.

Why are board games popular? For one thing, they can be a great way for adults and kids to play together and actually enjoy themselves. For another, there are a range of designs offering challenging decisions and trade offs where games can be easily balanced between children and adults.

My oldest son is ten. Two days ago, we played a game called Web of Power, which is an abstract game based on church vs. state influence in medieval Europe. The game only takes about 25 minutes and involves some great trade offs. We balanced the game based on hand size. I used three cards, my son had five and my wife four. It worked pretty well and is quick enough to keep almost anyone interested in the game.

There are a huge range of games with very nice components and outstanding designs offering deep game play or silly fun or whatever in games lasting 90 minutes or less these days. Most urban areas have groups of adults capable of forming complete sentences and with some social skills who meet regularly to play board games. Most of these gatherings are free or at minimal cost. I have met some very interesting people while game playing. Our local community includes a major magazine editor, lawyers, actuaries, a noted band member and lots of computer folk.

I have played board games against people in wheel chairs, with almost total paralysis, and/or much older than me. This is a hobby you can enjoy for years and years. It's worth thinking about.

Cheers,

JohnH
Can you list your top ten board games? DW likes Scrabble, but I don't (mostly because she kills me every time). We're looking for some good board games we can play together and with friends.

nmckay
Can you list your top ten board games? DW likes Scrabble, but I don't (mostly because she kills me every time). We're looking for some good board games we can play together and with friends.

One that DW and I play a lot in our group of friends is Settlers of Catan. You can find it online or in a specialty games store, along with several add-ons (Seafarers is no good, but Knights and Castles is cool). The game is kind of pricey but there is a lot of strategy and it is really enjoyable. You need 3-4 people for the regular game, but can play with up to six if you add some expansions.

st
Well, you asked for it nmckay. My top 10 board/card games still being published and likely to be enjoyed by a wide audience...

1. Puerto Rico (3-5, nicely balanced, great starter game, 60-90 min)
2. Acquire (3-6, 60-90 min, 2nd best starter, play with stock open)
3. Web of Power (for 3-6 or so, abstract strategy / quick)
4. Schotten Totten (card game for 2, set building / quick)
5. Industria (4-6, set building, arriving now from Germany, 90 min.)
6. Princes of Florence (3-5. 90 min. "thinker's auction game")
7. Battle Cry (2 player, 45-60 min, Civil War theme, lighter game)
8. Go (2 player, 90 min, a classic that deserves to be a classic)
9. San Marco (3-5, 60-90 min, deep game, on sale @funagain.com)
10. Settlers of Catan (3-4, 60-120 min, 3rd best starter, negotiations)

Your mileage may vary. There is a good board here at TMF to talk about card and board games. Type "Game" into the board search engine. If you want to look more broadly, boardgamegeek.com is an outstanding site. This is geared for those who are starting to really get in to board games. If you want to go hard core, spielfreaks is for you.

Cheers,

John
I used to be a Go nut, but it was almst impossible to even find anyone who had heard of the game. Looking for software that would play got me into personal computers. (Never found much on computer Go but it has improved.) Now that I'm retired and there are several sites that facilitate playing with people from all over the world, I may get back into it...
No. of Recommendations: 3
My list of "Things to do/learn/accomplish before I die" (Or my retirement list...whatever...)

Some of these I am planning on starting in the next year or two. Some are LONG term goals. Some are goals that will take the rest of my life.

*Move into my house and remodel the inside and yard
*Piano
*Reach a healthy weight
*Decide what I want to get my Bachelor's Degree in and get my butt in gear
*Kickboxing
*Guitar (non-electric)
*Speak Portuguese fluently and go to Brazil and visit my friend Maria
*Grow my own veggies/fruits and "put up" a winter pantry like my Great Grandma used to - Get Great-Grandma's recipes before it's too late (she's in her 90's!)
*Drums
*Start my own home-based business (creating interesting and clever gift bags/baskets is what I'm good at)
*Finish the lace bedspread I started 3 years ago (I only finished 6 of the 320 required pieces!)
Things I would like to accomplish in my FIRE:

Make my house clutter free!

Donate all I can to all those who need it.

Get one of those ATV's and ride it

Earn a masters degree in counseling

Become a certified dance therapist and help people with all kinds of disabilities (mental and/or physical)

Win a trophy for my ballroom dancing.

Walk on the beach barefoot!
No. of Recommendations: 2
My quickie list for FIRE hobbies:

- run marathons
- weight train
- learn tai chi and practice daily
- learn classical guitar
- decorate my home beautifully (I love the spare, modern look)
- host a formal dinner party 1X/month, 2 blowout parties a year, and have people over for dinner 1X/week
- knit like crazy and attend a knitting club once a week
- cook through as many of my cookbooks as I can (cook as much from scratch as I possibly can)
- write a book or novel every few years
- write magazine/newspaper articles/short stories when I feel like it (as much as I can)
- go to as many concerts at the local university as possible
- buy/grow organic veggies
- participate in food-related organizations (e.g., Slow Food, a soup kitchen, etc.)
- audit university classes in whatever interests me at the moment

This is the short list!

CK
I think you could do at least of those BEFORE FIRE!

5 if you go to school part-time!
- run marathons
- weight train
- learn tai chi and practice daily...
- write magazine/newspaper articles/short stories when I feel like it (as much as I can)
- go to as many concerts at the local university as possible

Modern time management skills would allow you to do all those things today...multi-tasking style!

Carry some weights while running tai chi fashion to the concert, and while at the concert write some articles and stories.

Carry some weights while running tai chi fashion to the concert, and while at the concert write some articles and stories.

That is hilarious!

Please post this on the HURL board :)

- TD

PS - No offense to OP but imagining someone doing this was a riot.
1. Puerto Rico (3-5, nicely balanced, great starter game, 60-90 min)
2. Acquire (3-6, 60-90 min, 2nd best starter, play with stock open)
3. Web of Power (for 3-6 or so, abstract strategy / quick)
4. Schotten Totten (card game for 2, set building / quick)
5. Industria (4-6, set building, arriving now from Germany, 90 min.)
6. Princes of Florence (3-5. 90 min. "thinker's auction game")
7. Battle Cry (2 player, 45-60 min, Civil War theme, lighter game)
8. Go (2 player, 90 min, a classic that deserves to be a classic)
9. San Marco (3-5, 60-90 min, deep game, on sale @funagain.com)
10. Settlers of Catan (3-4, 60-120 min, 3rd best starter, negotiations)

What?? No "Clue"?? Actually, my favorites growing up were Acquire, Stocks & Bonds, and a game called Triples. If you are ever able to find Triples, pick it up and please let me know where you got it. It's a wonderfully easy stragedy game. Even 3 & 4 year olds can play it, and adults will enjoy playing it as much as the children.
My list of "Things to do/learn/accomplish before I die" (Or my retirement list...whatever...)

I've already completed one "List of things to do," I guess I need to start a new one.

My first list was:
Get certified for scuba diving (I'm certified Search & Rescue)
Go sky diving (certified for that, too)
Move out of New England and travel (Did that and still doing the rest)
Travel for business (did that)
Join the Military (I tried 5 times, but they just have no sense of humor)
Have a family (I was told at 16 that I would never have children, I now have two beautiful little girls from my wonderful, sweet husband)
Finish my college degree (haven't done that)
Get a pilot's license (haven't done that)

Only missed 3 of the 8, and 1 of them I physically cannot do it (I'd still love to, but the military won't take me. I guess even they have standards.)
Join the Military (I tried 5 times, but they just have no sense of humor)
Finish my college degree (haven't done that)
Get a pilot's license (haven't done that)

Well, as for the military--they're mighty picky for an organization that sends people off to guard bakeries in Iraq!

Still plenty of time to finish your degree--what is it in?

Pilot's license--shouldn't be too hard once you are retired and have lots of time to log flight time...
Well, as for the military--they're mighty picky for an organization that sends people off to guard bakeries in Iraq!

They have no sense of humor when it comes to epilepsy. I thought it might be intersting to have a seizure in a foxhole. BTW, I think what they are doing in Iraq is the right ting to do, and I'll leave it there.

Still plenty of time to finish your degree--what is it in?

IT (What else?)

Pilot's license--shouldn't be too hard once you are retired and have lots of time to log flight time...

Um, I am basically retired. I just haven't the money or time right now because I homeschool my kids, and run a small online business.
BTW, I think what they are doing in Iraq is the right ting to do, and I'll leave it there.

Oh, I do, too. I just think their sense of morals and their set of standards is a little off.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Oh, I do, too. I just think their sense of morals and their set of standards is a little off.

I've tried to say this politely, now I'll be a bit more to the point. I don't think this is the board for this discussion. If you want to talk politics, there are plenty of political boards you can go to, in particular the REHP board would love more people.
Now, please give it a break.
WHAT is your malfunction?

You get all bitchy if you think I'm disagreeing, and then when I correct you, you're still bitchy!

You get all bitchy if you think I'm disagreeing, and then when I correct you, you're still bitchy!

I think you need to read again. I had no complaints with whether you were agreeing or disagreeing, I said I do not think this is the board for a political discussion.
I do not think this is the board for a political discussion.

My lame joke about the military's qualifications hardly constitutes a polital discussion.