Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
First, 'my ideal' is what exactly, and what made you assume it? What is 'into line'? I don't much care for being presumed. These are your statements, so why don't you explain them. Also, who brought up 'government oversight'. I think it was just you -- is leaping to assumptions your thing? I don't care to engage straw man fallacies either. You seem to want to introduce your biases in the form of questions, is that right? If you must reply to this, see if you can do it with just statement of you own opinions, no question marks.

And of course you can not force someone into a career, but you can make them aware of one they might not have otherwise considered.

I will say that I don't expect alignment of all professions with population. Of course there is choice and preference. But I also would not assume the 'maybe they don't want to do chemistry' either, just from a data point, or even suggest it without reason to believe it. I think the we can see from the data we have on undergraduate degrees, there are the a significant number did want to pursue chemistry. We also don't know if there is a trend over time any direction. FWIW, I expect 'white Americans' are also under represented as one moves down this graphical pipeline. We do use our university system, particularly post graduate eduction, to bring in international students. Encouraging the best and brightest from around the world to come to and stay in America has always been a part of what made America great IMO. So there is no 'into line' for this graphic nor should there be. And still the reductions are dramatic enough to be concerning, and as I noted shameful.

What is your ethnicity, and if you saw this data with yours in place of 'black' would you comment similarly?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.