Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Well this is my first and last post, but considering the money I spent and lost with this service I'll take it as an expensive vent. I guess my hope is that someone who has just signed up will take it as a cautionary tale. Like all advertizing, the global gains ads talk about how knowledgeable they are an why their advise is worth so much. For two years I subscribed and almost from the first purchase I've lost money. OMAB is off 55% from purchase, PT is off 36%, Cresy is off by 60% and SLT off by 74%. EDU is up 38%. I know some readers will say the market has dropped off a cliff since August, but all these selections dropped almost immediatly after purchase and stayed down. Over the months Motley said that now these stock are even a more incredible deal. If that's so then it by defination this means their first recomendation was wrong. Other recomendations have done even worse.
If the whole idea is to make money then this is a terrible service. No stop loss information is given with these recomendation (OK I'm learning) and more boosterism is not a substitue useful information. Nobody can be right all the time, but the service should be right enough time so you get value from the recomendations. The information is wrong so much of the time that you'd think that the people giving this information would be embarrased at least a little. I wish that the information that people are paying for was even close to what the ad hype is.
most dissapointed
Andy
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I think you are being way too results oriented. Anything that involves a lot of chance also involves significant risk. It seems your main complaint is that you lost money. You don't offer anything significant. For all the stocks you list you don't mention why they were bad picks other than the results. And you trying to say that it shouldn't matter the whole market got hammered, but that all the GG should be up anyways? I'd assume you'd be perfectly happy with the service had the numbers been reserved?

You would be much better off viewing the services a research service who gives you ideas monthly and then you have the option to act off them individually. If you want someone managing your money then invest in mutual funds. Personally, I get enjoyment out of picking individual stocks and know that if I do lose money it was my responsibility and not someone else's. I may analyze why it was a bad decision to invest in a stock, but I can't control unknown factors like oil going to 140+ very rapidly.

If you believe in stop loss investing, then why did you remain a member so long? You know that is not the philosophy at the Motley Fool. There are others services like IBD which I also I belong too that give stop loss advice. It sounds like you don't have the mentality to be a successful investor with any style of investing.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Andy,

We will be sad to see you go if that remains your final decision.

I wont burden you with pointing out that a large percentage of the Motley Fool service is teaching and education on investment.

As for being down, I honestly believe that the majority of those who post about their gains have noses that keep getting longer and longer with each post :)

Those of us in the down club include Warren Buffet, the majority of the previously best hedge funds, pension funds, Palm Beach retirees, people with MBAs in finance ..... seems the only person who got out in front of this was Bernie Madoff and he used fluff and lies and now we will support him for the rest of his life.

The only thing I will say about leaving is you must consider that we are in a hammered market that may be clipping the bottom though actual upward movement could take another year ... or just two months. The opportunity to evaluate your holdings, shift your remaining assets to bottomed out value deals, target new companies to progressively invest in and track the best opportunities for new investments only come along every 15 to 20 years. If you move on, be sure to read, learn and understand.

It's tough. During the last big crash of equities most of us used brokers. They did nothing to help us but at least you could yell at them face to face.

Bears
No. of Recommendations: 0
I will add to Bears statement that most of the gains in equities that I am left with are those that were built up in 2003-2004 time frame. It takes 5-8 years for a reasonably well diversified portfolio to reach stability and start growing decisively.

The stocks like STL that have fallen 75% are undervalued by far more than 3x. So the original prices is still an undervalued one. This company has cash close to its market cap. In a normal economy this number is 5% or less. It is selling for peanuts indeed. Similar if not the same is the case for many others. Certain companies are damaged goods and they have been sold. There are a few others in danger like AIB but the story is not over yet.

Even if you leave the service, you may want to hang on to some of these stocks as most of them are quite good.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I will add to Bears statement that most of the gains in equities that I am left with are those that were built up in 2003-2004 time frame. It takes 5-8 years for a reasonably well diversified portfolio to reach stability and start growing decisively.

And I will add to this statement that in 3-5 years, I bet I'll be saying that most of the gains in equities that I own are those that were built up in late 2008 and 2009.
Andy, first determine whether you want to be an investor or a trader, or a combination of both. There are other boards here on TMF that can help you. I posted the following on a Hidden Gem's board recently:

There are many ways to invest and I encourage you to investigate other boards on TMF that invest with technical analysis. Using both fundamental and technical understanding has its merits. HG has a short term trading board, but also check out the "Short Term Trading", "Dynamic Value" and the "It is what it is" public boards. Investigate TMF poster, TheRTTrader's website:

http://www.therealtimetrader.com/index.html

best, sm
Good luck Andy. Safe and prosperous investing.