Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Silly me!  I've been journaling my picks with my profile entry, when I could (should) have been using the blog.  Duh!

By way of introduction, I am an ordinary Joe on an ordinary Joe salary (less, in fact).  I haven't enough income to invest the way I would like, but I expect that to change soon and my CAPS account is an attempt to learn.  It reflects how I would invest if I had the coin.  My real-life investments consist of 1055 shares in BEARX (Prudent Bear) @ 6.67 (which I can't use in CAPS), and a very small 401K, that I just opened earlier this month, that is currently collecting into a treasury and AAA coorporate bond fund.

Yes, I am a Bear.  I do not see the sense in putting money into a place that I know is loosing capitol, and will continue to loose in the near future.  My picks reflect this.  I hate loosing money and so I do not care about beating the market when the market is this easy to beat.  My goal in these market conditions is to beat 0, by at least 3% and preferably more than 5%, on good days as well as bad.  I am not there yet, but the stocks in my picks are diversified to try and acheive that end in trying to beat the Bear.  My picks are heavy on short ETFs, so the bad days work very well for me, it is the good days where I am still adjusting things.  My picks include healthcare, energy, and consumer staples, to try and offset my short ETF losses and beat the S&P when it spikes.

Even though I have watched the markets for many years, and I am conversent in business issues, I am just a beginner at actual stock picking and investing (I have only been in BEARX since mid-January of this year), and I am here to learn like everybody else.  Please research my picks carefully before investing, because I am a little too impulsive and do not always research carefully enough before listing them.

Yesterday I dumped all of the tech picks that I could unload without a loss (all but AMZN).  I think that we are now fully into a Bear market and the only reason I had tech stocks at all in my picks at all in this market was to try and smooth out my dips during those big bear rallys in January and Febuary.

Today, I added a short on Bear Sterns to try and take advantage of the very stupid, very temporary spike on that stock this week (see my pitch).

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.