Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
After following Netflix stocks for awhile, I decided to try the new Redbox DVD rental in a local grocery store. I think the concept is great, and could produce a booming business. With the ability to order online, I could see this wiping out both Blockbuster and Netflix. Imagine ordering a movie, which the kiosk instantly burns on a DVD for you to take home. Seems like it would not take much in the way of technology to burn titles on demand (the next breakthrough)? Online streaming video would be next, but the majority of market share could come from WalMart customers who will have a DVD player but no decent internet connection/computer hardware.

So I swiped my card, selected a movie (Reno 911) and was impressed at the ease of the whole transaction.

Until I got home . . .

My wife said "why did you rent a Barbie movie?"

Crap. The machine spat out the wrong movie. Called the helpline and was repeatedly dumped to voicemail (do they have customer service on Saturday? What are the hours of business? Didn't see any helpful information online)

Sent an email asking to cancel the charge on my credit card.

Will see how they handle this goof.

First impressions are lasting, and what I thought was a great idea turned out to be a pain in the @$$. :)

When I returned to the store, I told a girl renting a movie to make sure she got the right title. She said "c'mon, admit it. You secretly wanted to get that Barbie movie." Hahaha--it was a funny moment. There were several customers waiting to check out movies--an indication that this may be a good business idea.

Is this a good business or something that will be plagued by poor execution? Stay tuned . . .
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.