Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 5
First, fire your HR Block person. They are not helping you by saying you don't need to report cost basis. If you report your cost as zero you are paying more tax than you need to. (Except in a couple of certain situations, and even then you will almost certainly overpay your state taxes if you're in a state with income taxes.)

It's up to you to keep track of your cost basis. Go back and find the record of when you purchased the stocks in question.

Non-covered securities are securities where the broker doesn't need to report the cost basis on your 1099B. Generally, they are stocks you purchased before 2011 and mutual funds you purchased before 2012. (I might be off a year there - I'm working from memory and not looking up the dates.)

Finally, take a look at the supplemental information that came with the 1099B. Sometimes the cost information will be there.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.