Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My daughter is 7 months old. Between my husband and my socking away a little something and some gifts when she was born, we have about 3000.00 to start her college fund with. I expect that we will be able to put about 2000.00 a year in the fund for her. I need some help deciding what to do with it. My parents have opened a small mutual fund for her with their broker, and are encouraging me to add to that. The fund performance is decent, but not any better than the market as reflected in an index fund. I am thinking of just getting an index fund for her. I am trying to avoid unnecessary taxes too. Our household income last year was about 140,000.00, but will be in the 90,000.00 range for the next 2-3 years because I am scaling back on myhours dramatically to be home with her.

Any ideas? Specific questions are: do I do this under UGMA or UTMA, what is the vehicle, and should I just put it in an index or SPYDR fund for the next few years and forget about it? How does the concept of Roth IRA's come into play for education? Also, what if (of course, I think I have the world's smartest baby!) she ends up with scholarships or financial aid, such that she does not need the money for college? How can my husband and I prevent that money from being used by her for a new car or something? If she doesn't need it, we intend to take it back! He and I put ourselves through school, and think it was a great way to go. I want to have enough to give her help, but not so much that she doesn't work hard herself. I would also love to minimize our tax burden.

Thanks, Liz
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.