Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
First, I don't care how hateful a word is, I think that everyone has a constitutionally protected right to say whatever they want to say.

Second, I agree that parents need to teach their children not to use hurtful words to describe people. I include all political, religious, social, and gender differences here. However, I also include teaching your children to ignore it when hateful or offensive speech is directed at them.

I usually agree with you, but this time you're wrong on all counts. For better or worse, the Supreme Court often restricts free speech. Teragram refers to the first Supreme Court decision to do so, where Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote: "The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely shouting fire in a theater...."

Second, I was brought up the way you advocate -- not allowed to "use hurtful words to describe people," but when others used them on me I was told to just ignore it. I can tell you that is a bull$hit, abominable, unconscionable way to raise a child. That demands that the child endure whatever is said to him without defending himself, verbally or physically. It guarantees that the child will grow up feeling miserable and powerless. It also guarantees that the child will be bullied, since bullies just love a target that doesn't fight back. I brought up my own child not to use language and never to throw the first punch -- but also not to tolerate being dissed and if someone else threw the first punch, to throw the last one. She's much better adjusted than I was. For God's sake, if you have kids, don't practice what you preach.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.