Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
First, I'd just like to thank Tom for requesting a new folder specifically for Tweeners. I'm sure this topic will gain considerable popularity in due time, especially among Rule-Maker investors who would like to spice up their portfolios. Thanks, Tom!

Second, since we are exploring *relatively* unchartered waters, there is much to be explored. But for now, I'd just like to reply to the previous post....

...What is the universe of descriptors? Rule Breakers, Rule Makers, Tweeners - and what? Also-rans? Up and Comers? Just *Other*?

Although the human mind likes to categorize things, making them a bit easier to comprehend while giving us something more tangible to work with, one must remember that these categorizations can be perceived as simply that -- categorizations.

This set of definitions (RB's, Tweeners, and RM's) works well, but obviously there are many other "hidden" categories -- a list of which, I might add, could continue indefinitely. For example, instead of 3, how about 5 categories: True RB's, Rule-Breaking Tweeners, True Tweeners, Rule-Making Tweeners, and True RM's. A bit more involved than the 3-category system, but perhaps more accurate.

But why stop at just 5? What about about pre-Rule Breakers and post-Rule Makers? Or the companies which fall between, say, True Tweener and Rule-Making Tweener? Should we expand the universe of descriptors to accomodate these, as well? If we did and continued to expand our list, we would have hundreds of categories in no time -- with no end in sight.

As I stated earlier, the current 3-category system works well. But one must remember that each of these 3 categories is composed of a collection of companies that fall SOMEWHERE within a given range; each company could be considered simply as a single point along a continuum.

However, could a company be considered a Rule-Breaking Tweener AND a Rule-Making Tweener at the same time?

Now I'm all confused... LOL
Good night!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.