Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 13
First, if you are looking for a new job, check out the opportunities at a nearby university or college. At many schools family members of staff/faculty get free/discounted tuition.

Second, if you have college bound children that are at all interested in teaching in public schools you can get a substantial amount of a student loan fogiven if you teach certain subjects at certain schools. (You would be surprised to see how many schools qualify.)

Third, always explore in-state (resident) tuition. Not only will the fees be substantially less, your family will incur less travel and living expenses. If they perform well academically and develop strong interests they can transfer to a school that meets those interests.

Talk to your kid about his or her interests, and be honest about what you can afford and/or are willing to pay. Explain to your kid that leaving school with 100 grand in student loans only makes sense if that education will lead to both personal happiness and a very high paying job.

My four years of in-state tuition at the best public university in the state was 12,500 dollars. Just to be clear, that is 3125 a year. (Actually, my parents and I paid a little less than due to a small academic scholarship.) Today, in-state tuition at this same University is still only 4500 a year.

I busted my butt, lived at home for the first two years, worked 30-40 hours a week to help pay my tuition, didn't take out any student loans, maintained a 3.9/4.0 GPA, and graduated with a full scholarship and stipend to one of the top graduate schools in my discipline.

When I arrived at graduate school many of my fellow graduate students were flabbergasted to learn that their undergraduate tuition was 4 times more than what my family paid, and that's not counting what they paid/owe to stay in dorms, living expenses for not working, and travel expenses to visit home. Yet, we ended up in the same place.

It is not a parent's responsibility to pay 20k a year so their kid can party and find him/herself. They can do that for free.

marxtacy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.