Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
First, just because someone is a person of faith, doesn't make faith the source of their skills and abilities.

No it doesn't. But on the other hand, if there is a God and He/She wants to influence society unobstrusively, providing inspiration to select individuals would be a way.

In fact, you buttress my position that people of faith admit that they cannot operatat in this world without the tools that are produced by science.

Didn't know you needed buttressing. I don't think anyone has said that science wasn't important.

More people died in the last century because of the tools of science is true but a larger percentage of the population of Europe - one third to one half of the entire population died of plauge- actually, they died of ignorance because if they had known what plauge was- and they could would have known if religion hadn't held back science for the eight hundred years of the "dark ages",.

Just my opinion, but I think when one makes dogmatic assertions without supportive evidence that constitutes a "rant", (though I have to say that I never used the word in my previous post). There were plagues before the dark ages, there were plagues after the "age of enlightenment", and Africa is in the process of being decimated by an Aids virus in the current age of modern science. Personally, I think you can make a better correlation between the occurrance of plagues and economics, but who am I to interrupt a good rant?

Science is a belief system. It just happens to be a very successful, self correcting belief system.

How is science a belief system? Is mathematics also a belief system?
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.