No. of Recommendations: 2
First of all, I agree that, especially during the summer (or when schools are out), Rome can be unpleasantly crowded. That said, last week we felt like we were the only tourists in the city.

Rome is not part of southern Italy and has a very different feel from Naples (as ell as its own cuisine).

It's also home to many of Italy's iconic sites (the Colosseum, the Forums, catacombs, Ostia Antica, Etruscan tombs, museums, the Vatican and so on). To forgo that because of traffic, especially considering its good Metro/bus systems and general walkability, is a shame.

Jeff
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've never been to Rome. I think I was turned off of southern Italy by a business trip to Naples in the 1990s, which I detested for its crowds, pollution, and the worst traffic (in terms of volume and lack of following any traffic rules) I've ever seen.

I had avoided Italy overall due to that, which wasn't fair. I did finally make it to Milan, Bergamo and Lake Como and enjoyed all of those cities and would go back.

I just get the feeling there is too much tourism nowadays and unless you plan wisely, the crowds are just overbearing. To avoid that, we generally go in the winter and often visit the Christmas markets (which can also be overcrowded in some cities).

I do miss the fresh foods of Europe although I read somewhere that Italian children are among the most overweight of any country.
Some 25 percent of all children in Italy are overweight or obese, according to a new study by national statistics agency Istat.
https://www.thelocal.it/20191031/one-in-four-italian-childre...

When we visit Europe we generally lose weight since we are usually walking 5+ miles a day unlike my typical desk job.

Enjoy
Rich
No. of Recommendations: 0
richnaz: I've never been to Rome. I think I was turned off of southern Italy by a business trip to Naples in the 1990s, which I detested for its crowds, pollution, and the worst traffic (in terms of volume and lack of following any traffic rules) I've ever seen.

I had avoided Italy overall due to that, which wasn't fair. I did finally make it to Milan, Bergamo and Lake Como and enjoyed all of those cities and would go back.

I was stationed in Vicenza, Italy (35 miles NW of Venice) when I was in the army. I never made it to Rome. Similar thought process to yours. I went to Venice twice. It was very dirty. By now I regret not going to Rome. I did tour much of northern Italy (Some of it in a jeep - on maneuvers - Cortina d'Ampezzo was great.)

CNC
No. of Recommendations: 2
First of all, I agree that, especially during the summer (or when schools are out), Rome can be unpleasantly crowded. That said, last week we felt like we were the only tourists in the city.

Rome is not part of southern Italy and has a very different feel from Naples (as ell as its own cuisine).

It's also home to many of Italy's iconic sites (the Colosseum, the Forums, catacombs, Ostia Antica, Etruscan tombs, museums, the Vatican and so on). To forgo that because of traffic, especially considering its good Metro/bus systems and general walkability, is a shame.

Jeff