Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
First of all, I wouldn't worry about the low ranker score. JNJ gets a significant percentage of their sales from lower margin consumer products and medical devices, hurting its monopoly score. It wasn't a fair comparison. Sales growth was also hurt by propulsid sales which I think was taken off the market in the US.

>> For my assumptions: I used a 10% growth rate for years 1-10 for JNJ.
That is below its current "long term growth rate" that can be found on the
estimates page, but I think it is reasonable. <<

10% seems reasonable(though a little on the low side) to me. You are counting all its earnings as dividends, so you will have to use a lower than estimated growth rate. But I actually think that 5 years from now, JNJ's growth rate will be higher than it is today, for a few reasons:

1)Its higher-growth pharmaceuticals division is becoming an ever-greater percentage of JNJ's profits.

2)JNJ does not have a great pipeline, hence it's growth projection of only 13% growth for the next 5 years. But its pharmaceutical division is investing 16% of sales into R&D, which should pay off in the future.

3)JNJ aquired Centocor, a major biotech company. Centocor is already selling products, and in a few years, should improve JNJ's earnings growth.

>> I used a discount rate of 9%, figuring that JNJ as a
mature company faces some of the same risks as Coke, and Bill used 9% <<
There are actually several ways of discounting. The first is to use a low discount rate and add a margin of safety. For instance, you might use the risk-free bond rate as your discount rate and have a margin of safety of 70%, meaning you'd only buy the stock if it fell to 30% of your intrinsic value. The second method is to use the desired rate of return as your discount rate, i.e. if you want a 12% annual return on JNJ, 12% would be your discount rate.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.