Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
First of all, the worst thing you could do is to include your son's income in your tax return. It doesn't belong there, and it would be taxed at your rates.

If your son files his own return (definitely the 1040EZ) he will owe no tax. The standard deduction for this year is $5,000, so anything less than that will not be subject to tax. I usually tell people that if they are under that amount, and they did not have any income taxes withheld from their paychecks, then filing a tax return is optional. Others may disagree, but as there is no tax liability, there is no penalty.

For him to file the 1040EZ should take all of about 30 minutes to complete, so if you are unsure, you can just complete it.

You can also ask over on the tax strategies board if you'd like another forum for this discussion:

Print the post  


TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.