No. of Recommendations: 0
First off, if you type one of your e-mails into his site where he has all of the e-mails, it will tell you exactly where your e-mail account / password credentials are from. In my case my junk e-mail account (@yahoo) was found in 15 different hacks.

Second... Like PSU said... where this information gets interesting is where people use the same e-mail / password combination across sites. The hacker can then use it to gain access to different sites. So unless you're using a hashed set of 15 to 20 character passwords unique to EVERY site, this is a problem for the common user. I know I'm guilty and trying to get better about it, but for most people this isn't "panic-mongering" as you call it. I know someone who uses the exact same password for EVERY site. Just not safe and this aggregation proves it.

Yes, his site is full of adds for Password storage tools and not recommended by my security teams for multiple reasons and not allowed where I work.

HereIGo
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.