No. of Recommendations: 9
First off, mafia? The repeal of DADT is challenging enough for active service members. Do we really need to inflame the topic like that?

Secondly, mafia? This was an incident between a senior enlisted and his unit commander. Where are the organized and crime bits coming from?

And C, as for the actual discussion of the balance between the repeal of DADT and this freedom of religious expression law: I think Monk was wrong, but was forced into it (so he's right?). If the commander had not pressed Monk, the article makes it sound like he would have held his tongue. Since the commander pressed him...I don't know. On the one hand, individual members still have a responsibility to speak and act with good order and discipline, to include not speaking negatively about their chain of command, whether the commander instigates the question or not. OTOH, he was pressed on a controversial topic. As a commander, I would not have pressed, but I might have actually used Monk's advice and turned it into a training opportunity. "You can do A, but not B". And all of this is colored with the "none of us was there, so...".

In the larger sense, the real question is where is the bright shiny line between freedom of religious expression and accepting all of the ramifications and guidance related to the repeal of DADT. The best rule I've heard in general "add it to the list of topics alongside abortion and politics" of things you ought not discuss, purely for practical reasons.

-spookysquid
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.