No. of Recommendations: 1
First off neither Stock Advisor or Hidden Gems advocates jumping in and out of stocks

Ok, I'm just going by what I read on TM. For instance last year TG wrote a two day, two part feature piece boldly titled "The next telecom double"...the double in question was Talk America, ticker TALK. Then a few months later he said in another piece he'd dumped the stock. Didn't sound like buy and hold investing to me.

Buffett, Lynch and Graham amongst other lousy investors provide inspiration

I see you've fallen for the old "Buffett beat the market, so my newsletter can, too" routine. What about the other 100,000,000 that tried to beat the market and failed? What about, for example, Tiger Management, America's largest hedge fund in 90s? Only the very best and brightest worked there (my friend, top of his class a Princeton, was chosen over 300 candidates for their single open fresh grad position in 1994). They went out of business a few years ago after a few bad stock picks. Do I think you and the Gardners are smarter than the guys at Tiger? Nope.

For the record, Buffett has beaten the market primarily through being a business owner, and Lynch's performance was dismal in the 90s (until he gave up trying), and Graham never made a fortune using the techniques he claimed could make him rich.

And how did Buffett recently recommend you and I invest? Through Vanguard mutual funds.

As we face rising interest rates...

a) Any news or opinions about future interest rate moves are already priced into the market. Unless, that is, you have some piece of information the rest of the world doesn't...

b) Nobody has any idea if interest rates are rising. For example, recently the economy hit a "soft patch" and rates declined. Who predicted that in advance?

Nick
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.