Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 55
I bought a Pentax K100D about a month ago, but it's hardly been out out of its case all this time. I don't take field trips seeking out photo opps; I just take what comes along in every day life when it does. Yesterday morning DW and I were having breakfast at a seaside cafe when I looked out the window and noticed a convergence of clouds in the distance. Got the Pentax out of the car, then waited for the lone walker on the beach to kindly center himself in the frame, and got the picture before my eggs could get cold.

www.averagjoe.com/1222p

~aj
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I like how the remnants of the high tide contrast the clouds. Did you do anything in PS to make them stand out more?

PF
If you're referring to the grooves in the foreground sand, it's the result of "gang-rake", a tractor pulled wide rake used to clean and smooth beach areas. The only post processing involved enhancing local contrast in the fluffy clouds near the horizon, and a slight burn-in at the corners.

~aj
No. of Recommendations: 1
That was what I was referring to, and now I understand why they are so uniform and distinct.

PF
Excellent!

The human figure providing the scale is what makes it exceptional.

a slight burn-in at the corners.

By this I think you mean you darkened the corners. Right?

Peter
" a slight burn-in at the corners."

By this I think you mean you darkened the corners. Right?"

Yes; old habits and terms of expression are hard to kill.

~aj

~aj

Of course. My parents had a darkroom. They went away with the advent of color because regular folks could not afford to do color processing. Now Photoshop is our darkroom.

I'm just starting to learn it.

Do you have a standard gradient you use to darken the corners?

Peter
No. of Recommendations: 2
"Do you have a standard gradient you use to darken the corners?"

I don't use gradients. I use the Burn-in tool with a low value and a soft edge brush. That way I can build up the density gradually and/or blend it to my liking.

~aj
Amazing composition. Very nice.
" a slight burn-in at the corners."

By this I think you mean you darkened the corners. Right?"

LOL. I've done so much reversal and Cibachrome printing that I often think "burn" = "lighten". But I've done enough C printing that I just as often think "darken".

I long ago got in the habit, especially when working with positive processes, of making clients use "lighten" and "darken" because of the possible confusion.

David
"I've done so much reversal and Cibachrome printing...."

There is a name I haven't heard mentioned in a long time. Much like when resin-coated print stock made its first appearance, everyone questioned its archival quality. I have some Ilford Ilfospeed prints from 1976 and a couple of Cibachrome prints of my own from 1977, and they look as good today as when I first dried them. And none of these had been stored in optimal conditions. Is Ciba still around?

~aj
AJ,

My better-half is into photo printing in a big way and I know she'll enjoy reading this thread.

I got this link by Googling "Cibachrome printing".

http://www.lightroom.com/lr_pages/ilfo_info.html

It states that "Cibachrome" is still around under a new name.
Nice shot, what beach is this? This is screaming for me to play with it, I have a few versions I could post..
"Nice shot, what beach is this? This is screaming for me to play with it, I have a few versions I could post.."

Carlsbad Beach, as seen from the promenade above. Play with it? Be my guest, (I can send you the full size shot if you like) and let's see the results.

~aj
Well done ~aj... I normally don't care for centered (dead on) shots. But I must say that it works for some shots, and I would consider this a good example. I like your rendering and look forward to seeing what else you can produce with the new toy.

gotta luv that mirror slap... (o;\
No. of Recommendations: 3
Here they are:

http://www.pbase.com/davekone/aj

I posted 6 versions plus your original. Most of them cropped to cut out some of the beach in the foreground. If you like any of them email me the original and I can send back one processed that way.
Ooo, I like the "romantic" one.
No. of Recommendations: 8
I can see an argument for some cropping, but I like the color of the original the best. It seems the most natural to me. The others, such as the romantic, look interesting but not quite "right". I'd say the romantic is the closest to believable.

That's the problem with PS, IMO. It is very powerful, and can help if there were exposure problems, but too often I think people start creating scenes that simply aren't real. And they look it (again, IMO).

That said, I know a guy that shoots geometric things (e.g. windows of a skyscraper reflecting other skyscrapers) and then distort it to the point of making it look like an impressionistic painting. That's a bit different, and an interesting use of the software.

1poorguy
No. of Recommendations: 8
"I can see an argument for some cropping, but I like the color of the original the best. "

David had an open invitation to experiment with the image, and he provided several interpretations of what the image conveyed to him, all of them food for thought. I've also experimented with the image since posting it, but in all versions to date I've left the original framing in place.
If one takes a walk on a deserted beach, as I do almost daily, one can't help but be overwhelmed by the vastness of the sky and the ocean, and realize one's insignificance in the grand scheme of the universe... it is the perfect setting for reflection and self examination. Consequently, I felt that cropping the foreground would encroach on the human figure's solitude and rob the image of its mood.

YMMV.

~aj
David had an open invitation to experiment with the image,...

Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

...he provided several interpretations of what the image conveyed to him, all of them food for thought.

Yes. I just liked the original best. Looked more natural to me. Of course, if I wanted a B&W print then 'moonlit' would have been great.

Consequently, I felt that cropping the foreground would encroach on the human figure's solitude and rob the image of its mood.

I tend to agree. I wouldn't have cropped as much as he did (where the pedestrian was walking on the bottom edge of the frame). It's quite possible that if I played with it a bit I'd end up not cropping at all.

Did you shoot the guy shortly after he entered the frame also? My first thought was to crop it so he looked like he was walking into the vast empty frame, but then I realized that would mess with the symmetry of the clouds.

1poorguy
No. of Recommendations: 1
"Did you shoot the guy shortly after he entered the frame also? My first thought was to crop it so he looked like he was walking into the vast empty frame, but then I realized that would mess with the symmetry of the clouds."

I made six exposures while the figure progressed into the frame, and considered each of them for the final image, but chose the one where he was centered. Walking into the frame would have been my choice, but considering that the converging clouds dominated the scene, they had to be centered, and placing the figure anywhere but centered would have "tilted" the balance.

~aj
If you look closely you will notice that in the shot labeled Pop (ignoring the crop) the clouds have many more folds and detail than the original. Maybe I should have done the image without the crop but there is a lot of detail in the original image to be seen. I saw an opportunity to have fun with the image and I did. I personally like the infrared image, your eye goes right to the person.

Can you imagine a stiched pano of this image 3-4 wide?

AJ keep them coming..
Canonian, this link you gave isn't working for me:
http://www.pbase.com/davekone/aj

Is it working for others?

RB
"felt that cropping the foreground would encroach on the human figure's solitude and rob the image of its mood."

I agree.

"If one takes a walk on a deserted beach, as I do almost daily"

What beach where (if you don't mind)? Is the ocean there swimable (warm)?
I'm just trying to decide how jealous to be!
I just got back from a Florida visit. I'm learning to use flickr, and when I have uploaded some there I will share here for comments.

RB
Oh I took the edits of AJs down. Did not want them lingering on my pbase site to long.
No. of Recommendations: 2
"What beach where (if you don't mind)? Is the ocean there swimable (warm)?"

The beach was Carlsbad, about three miles south of my home beach:
(Slow loading because of the webcam, but gives you all the beach info you need up and down the south coast.)

http://www.surfline.com/reports/report.cfm?id=4241

Today's water temp was 56 degrees. Swimable? Yes, but shrinkage is guaranteed: even in a wetsuit. I took my new 80-200mm lens out on the pier yesterday and caught this guy riding the waves. He looked a bit chilled.

www.averagjoe.com/1227i

This guy, on the other hand, looked outright cozy:

www.averagjoe.com/1227p

~aj
Nice photos with your 80-200mm. I need to get one of those. Although I'm actually thinking of the 70-300mm here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Y794O/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1AEUIJXROVLBF&colid=3EWV36W4DNEVY

When I was at Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary in Florida this past week with my 28-135mm, trying to take pictures of both landscapes and wildlife, I was inspired that I need a telephoto and a wide angle lens. I'll post some pix soon but many are lacking due to a lack of those lenses. The one thing I was wondering is how fast I can get at changing lenses before the wildlife runs off or changes the pose I wanted. I guess you have to become like Quick Draw McGraw!

RB
how fast I can get at changing lenses before the wildlife runs off

Two bodies.

(Yes, wishing I could afford that myself.....)
"Two bodies.
(Yes, wishing I could afford that myself.....)"

How about 3? : )
Then I'll need a mule to carry all of it.

RB
"The one thing I was wondering is how fast I can get at changing lenses before the wildlife runs off or changes the pose I wanted."

When doing nature/wildlife photography with one body and several lenses, my rule is to have the lens pre-mounted that gives me the best chance for capturing wildlife. Scenics and general nature are more contemplative since moment to moment changes seldom occur, so there is time for lens selection and change. Get the critters first, then change lenses to get everything else.

~aj
"When doing nature/wildlife photography with one body and several lenses, my rule is to have the lens pre-mounted that gives me the best chance for capturing wildlife."

Good point. So for example, I would keep the telephoto on the camera and when I take a wide angle of a scene, put the telephoto back on right away.
Makes sense.
: )

RB
Hey, that makes for a nice desktop background, too!

Mike in NJ
Is Ciba still around?

Yep. Name was changed in the early 90s to "ILFOCHROME Classic", since Ciba-Geigy sold ILFORD to IP. Product line has changed somewhat, and the "Rapid" line, used mainly for copy work, has gone away, but it is essentially the same thing you used.

BTW, the biggest threat to Cibas is humidity; not light. I've seen Ciba (actually ILFOCHROME) prints that were in high-humidity places fade within a couple of years. OTOH, the Arizona sun causes only a slight difference even after 2 years of every-day exposure.

Personally, I haven't printed any in about 4-5 years. And I doubt I will ever print it again; inkjet does the job for what I need just as well (and actually lasts even longer)

David