Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi, all! I just found this board. My main craft passion is quilting, both hand and machine. I am finishing up quilting a throw for my three-year-old's bed, and my next project, for my six-year-old's son's bed, I plan to have finished in time to enter in the state fair. I'm also exploring the wonderful world of decorative painting, a hobby my husband might not survive ("Honey! Why is our bedroom purple?").

Mind if I pull up a seat?

Uhura :o)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings and Welcome!

Sounds like you are keeping busy - just wish you were closer to me! I'd love to learn quilting, and would turn you loose to paint the inside of my house... but for now cross stitching and reading the Fool keeps me busy.
Sandy
My main craft passion is quilting, both hand and machine. I am finishing up quilting a throw for my three-year-old's bed, and my next project, for my six-year-old's son's bed, I plan to have finished in time to enter in the state fair.

Are you stalking me? Have we talked quilting on GOLP? Nah, we can't otherwise I would have pointed this board out to you before.

Yah know, we oughta compare fav board lists, let's see, here, veg, GOLP, PL, any of the other 3 cooking boards.

Glances over his shoulder, through the mist woven streets he hears a dolcet voice call. . . . Rav, which board are we going to now. . . . ? ? ? ? ?
Rav, darling, you should know by now I'd follow you anywhere.

The quilt for Girlie's bed is Ann and Andy, a very simple two color, 16 square patch that make a lovely lattice when put together. The one for my little guy is Ocean Waves, a bit more complicated, but not that much. The biggest benefit of Ocean Waves is that it uses up a lot of scrap material. I already have the fabric for the center squares, light blue waves on darker blue, and now all I have to do is pick out the right scraps. Since the center squares are water, I'll be going with greens and yellows for a sand effect.

My husband asked me the funniest question the other day: "Do you really need to buy another yard of that cloth?" Silly man.

Other than quilting, I'm planning a large scale decorative paint job in the kids' rooms. Our house was built as a tenement in 1851, so we have low ceilings and wide plank pine floors throughout. It feels like being between decks on an old ship. We rent out the downstairs and live on the top two floors. The kids' rooms are in what used to be the attic, which means the walls are about two feet high and the rest is pitched ceilings. I'm painting everything sky blue, then will be sponging on clouds. After the clouds are dried, I'll stamp stars over them with glow in the dark paint. They'll be invisible during the day, but will show up after dark for about half an hour. Since doing it all at once is impossible, I paint one wall at a time, sometimes just half a wall.

What I'm really looking forward to, and know I probably won't even be able to think about starting until next year, is the front hallway. It's the only part of the house that's original. The problem is that it's dark and the stairs have been painted so many times it must be half an inch thick. Right now, everything is hunter green. I would like to strip the stairs and banister down to the original wood and either stain the banister natural or paint it white, paint the stairs white or light gray and put down an oriental rug runner, and stencil a period mural on the wall. Nothing too fancy, just a street or waterfront scene.

Uhura :o)
WOW! I'm in awe of your creativity!

now all I have to do is pick out the right scraps.

could you use a little bit of blue with white clouds, accented by some blue swirls and subtle sparkles? I don't know how washable it is, though, but I do have a little left over from my feeble attempt at a machine quilt.

~~ Alison
I'll stamp stars over them with glow in the dark paint.
They'll be invisible during the day, but will show up after dark for about half an hour.

Uhura,

along with the painted stars, I bought a bunch of stick on stars as well. We have stars all over our ceiling over the bed...... that way we always sleep under the stars!

Linda
loves those glow in the dark stars...
along with the painted stars, I bought a bunch of stick on stars as well. We have stars all over our ceiling over the bed...... that way we always sleep under the stars!

I used to have those on my wall in my old apartment... until the cats discovered that they could knock them down and bat them around the room.

I can't remember which catalog, but I saw one that had kits you could buy to paint a map of the night sky in glow-in-the-dark paint on your ceiling or wall. I should do that in my room.

Kaiti
I can't remember which catalog, but I saw one that had kits you could buy to paint a map of the night sky in
glow-in-the-dark paint on your ceiling or wall. I should do that in my room.

Wow!

That sounds very cool!

Linda
thinking she might have to surf the web to see
There's a company here in the Seattle area that will come out to your house and do it all for you. I think it's called StarLite. We had it done to our master bedroom - it's FANTASTIC!!! A very realistic and accurate representation of the night sky on the night you specify. It is a little pricy though. Our bedroom is approximately 15'x20' with a cathedral ceiling. We bought their service during the Home show last year so there was a discount, and I think we paid about $550. Smaller, flat ceiling rooms would be less. If anyone wants their number, I'm sure I can find it and post it for you.

However, I did go looking online afterwards to see if I could reproduce it myself in other rooms. This is the closest thing I found: http://www.glo-net.com/glow/shop/index.html?itembnsk.html

I didn't actually order it, so I don't know how good it is, but I pulled the url to let you see. I just noticed that they have glow in the dark thread too! Might have to get me some of that!

I would suggest that if you're going to do it yourself, make the extra investment to get the longer lasting glow powder (not sure if it's offered on that site). There is one powder that lasts about 20 minutes, and another that lasts several hours long. The stuff that StarLite used is the 20 minute kind. That's the only part that was a little disappointing. Other than that, my husband and I giggle every night about how we are sleeping under the stars!

Crickett (Seattle)