Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
hi all,

I heard about this board before but never came over just because I knew it would get me in trouble! :) I am famous for starting great projects and never finishing them. Give me an idea and I am just off and on a full sprint under I get distracted by the next sparkling pretty idea.

Mostly what I do though is cross stitch. I have more than several UFOs and even more kits that I have bought but not allowed myself to even open to sort threads till I finish the project I started roughly 18 months ago. I have actually banned myself from craftstores till I am finished. It's just that bad.

I need help though, so I thought I would go to the people that either know or could hopefully point me in the right direction! :) I have a piece affectionately known as "the never ending monster cross stitch" to everyone I have met in the past 18 months! I stitched at school, at work, at home, at friend's houses when we did movie nights, everywhere!

Anyways, the project is nearing completion, which is a thrill since its the biggest I have done and it also means a lot to me. A year ago today actually, my college best friend got married. This is a wedding piece with their names and the date and flower wreaths and all that. Finished size is: 14"x 12". To be completely honest, its the whopping 2nd piece I will have ever finished and the first was a "weekend" project that took me a week since it was my first time stitching. So this is huge to me and I am just amazed to look at it and think that I really did make this pretty thing.

I am *very* scared about anything happening to it. I just have to finish up the date and do the beading on it (oh yeah, it looked SO much simpler in the store!) and then I will have to do the stuff to get it framed.

I've never had stitchery framed so I am entirely lost on that process. Since I started this like September of 2000, I am sure it needs washed, but I am completely freaked out of my mind of anything happening to it in the wash or washing it by hand and having colors bleed all over the place. I did not pre-wash the floss or anything like that. So I need some reassurance basically on handwashing the Aida cloth that if it bleeds, the cold water rinses the intructions recommend will really get the bleeding out and that the Aida cloth will not entirely unravel (it is presently bound by drafting tape).

For framing though, do I just iron it when its dry and then take it to Michael's or a frame shop and expect them to know what they are doing? I sure have no idea what it would need to be framed. Should I like glue to a mat board or something first?

Any and all advice is most welcome!

TIA,
liss
counting xx's since 1998
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Any and all advice is most welcome!

Just a very quick reply -- check "Needlewoman East" on Broad Street in Falls Church. Call or go in -- they're very helpful. In fact, I'd ask their opinion as the very first step.

I personally wouldn't go to Michael's for framing -- I'd probably want someone who specializes in framing needlework. And I definitely wouldn't use glue. If I think of anything helpful, I'll pass it along.

My cross-stitching has taken a back seat to beading, but I always loved seeing the designs materialize as if by magic.

~~ Alison
<<I personally wouldn't go to Michael's for framing -- I'd probably want someone who specializes in framing needlework.>>

I haven't been impressed with Michael's framing, considering the price you pay.

Alison, I know you're local to DC, I know of a privately owned map/old document/frame shop in Old Town, Alexandria that frames anything with museum quality skill. Price is comparable to Michael's, and you don't have a teenager doing the work. I highly recommend this fellow, but I can't remember the name of his shop...if you want it I can find it.

Susan

For framing though, do I just iron it when its dry and then take it to Michael's or a frame shop and expect them to know what they are doing? I sure have no idea what it would need to be framed. Should I like glue to a mat board or something first?

Having done a few of these... ::grin:: - Wash in cold water, with woolite or a special cleaner (I don't think Needlewoman east carries it, but The Scarlet Thread may, and I *know* In Stitches, off Rte 1, does.) If you can, block it - on the ironing board or a cloth covered block, put pins in the edges with it a little stretched to make sure it dries "square". Then, if you iron it, iron the backside with the floss down, on a WHITE towel. (May be bad for the towel.)

In my experience, if you're using DMC or Anchor on Aida, it won't particularly bleed, except for RED (310), and that's never happened to *me* on washing.

DO NOT USE GLUE. And you need to cut off the tape. Sticky stuff will eventually cause your fabric to rot. And I second the other person who said "don't go to Michael's for Framing" (I'd use In Stitches, actually, they have an entire 2nd room dedicated to framing, or Needlewoman East, 'cause I like them. ::grin::) You can take it in unmounted, as long as it's clean & dry.

And don't feel bad about the UFO's... there's actually a yahoo group *called* UFO's, for us addicts - and my best friend is one of the Queens of the group... she's down to 183 *started*, unfinished objects. (Not including the stuff that's never been started.) So, you're in good company!

MaureenKaplan
I can't remember the name of his shop...if you want it I can find it.

Thanks, Susan, I'd love it, although I wasn't the original one who asked. After all, I'm bound to finish something someday <g>.

I didn't manage to make it to Woodlawn this year, but I just found Friday that for the first time, they included beadwork as well. I know at least one person who entered in that category. I am SO annoyed with myself. ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

~~ Alison
The Scarlet Thread may, and I *know* In Stitches,

Glad to hear of other locations -- thanks!

And don't feel bad about the UFO's...

I LOVE that term. I've always said that if I ever get organized, it'll be proof positive that I've been abducted by aliens. Who knew "UFO" had another meaning? Well, I certainly didn't till I saw it here, of course.

~~ Alison
Greetings!
I am a long time cross stitcher - and have to say the suggestions given here are good! However, I'd like to ask MaureenKaplan how to get to the Yahoo group? The UFO group sounds good, but I have no idea how to reach it...
Help, please?
Sandy
However, I'd like to ask MaureenKaplan how to get to the Yahoo group? The UFO group sounds good, but I have no idea how to reach it...

groups.yahoo.com, and the group name is UFO-XS-Buddies... I don't know how active they are anymore, and I no longer go to the monthy S&B (started our own separate one, if you are interested) because I have a *serious* personality conflict with one of the local members. However, I haven't left the *list* and there's lots of good information there (most of what I mentioned was stuff I learned there!)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UFO-XS-Buddies/join

MaureenKaplan
I have more than several UFOs and even more kits that I have bought but not allowed myself to even open....

I'm sure what I have are also UFOs, but what exactly does UFO stand for? I can pretty well guess the UF is "unfinished" but the "O" has got me stumped.
but what exactly does UFO stand for?

UnFinished Object

~~ Alison