Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
First thing I would check is the circuit breaker on the generator itself. They could be off even if the generator is running.

He says he checked this and flipped it a few times to be sure it was making contact. It was the first thing the Mothership service guy said to check.

Then I'd check the output terminals with a meter. That will probably require removing one of the cover plates since it's unlikely those 120V connections are exposed.

DH doesn't see output terminals--he sees a wire pair (in a "sleeve") that comes out of the genset that seems to be the electrical output. The connection is inside the genset and even with the cover off he cannot see where it goes. The Onan tech says that the output is fine. But DH finds no electricity at the other end of that wire pair at the junction box and isnsits the problem is with the connection of those wires inside the genset or the wire itself, which he insists are entirely the province of generator service and so won't go to an RV place. The Lazy Daze head of service agrees with DH, based on DH's testing (which I am not totally confident in, but whatever.)

ASIDE
DH installed the converter himself as well as other upgrades and is affronted at my suggestion that perhaps there's a problem with the converter installation, although I presume the converter comes after the ATS since both shore power and genrator power need to go through the converter to convert 120v to 12v for storing in the house batteries...or perhaps I'm a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing?

After that, just trace the wire until you get to the transfer switch.

He sez he tested the GEN wires at the transfer switch (ATS), and the junction box en route from the genset to the ATS. He found no electricity.

Goofy:
He took the rig to a Cummins Onan authorized service place--they handle mostly diesel, and we have a gas generator to go with our gas RV engine, but sitll, they outta know when a generator is putting out power--that seems awfully basic to me.

We've never had work done locally on our RV except the local Ford dealer for routine maintenance and Camping World for annual Dometic fridge checks. We've gotten other RV work done on the road. USually at Camping Worlds, which I understand can be a mistake. But they helped on a few occasions, like last time when they screwed down the toilet which had become something of a rocking chair(!).
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.