Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
First things first. You should prepare your non-resident state returns before you prepare your resident state return. Most states will tax all the earnings of their residents regardless of where the income was earned. In return, they usually give you a credit for some or all of the tax you pay to other states.

Second, to your specific question, your student loan interest doesn't apply directly to your income from any state, so it isn't deductible on these non-resident returns. The type of deductions that would be allowable include deductible IRA contributions, self-employed retirement and medical insurance payments, moving expenses, etc.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.