No. of Recommendations: 0
First-- this is not advice about whether you should or should not buy more of the stocks you have. Wall street traders often say "don't try to catch a falling knife" but it's up to you to decide whether to believe them or not. I'm just answering your question.

If you don't mind giving up the ability to roll the money into a new job's 401(k), you can send $2000 each taxable year to the IRA custodian and direct that it is a contribution towards your IRA. You get to deduct this amount on your taxes for the year you designate, if your income is within certain limits. For instance, right now you could send in $2000 for tax year 2000 and $2000 for tax year 2001.

Keep in mind that the total contribution to ALL IRAs -- whether rollover, traditional, or Roth -- is limited to $2000. [So if you've already established a Roth IRA and contributed $2000 for said years, you can't contribute anything to the other one.]

Please see the Fool's School for "All About IRAs":
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.