Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am buying my first home and I am thinking about taking a distribution from my traditional IRA to pay a portion of the downpayment. This IRA is a rollover from my 403b plan with a previous employer. As I understand, I will not have to pay the 10% penalty, but I am a little confused by the language in the IRS publication. How do I prove that the early distribution was used for the downpayment? Is it enough to have the HUD-1 statement showing that the downpayment was more than the distribution amount?

Many thanks in advance,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.