No. of Recommendations: 13
Just ended my first week of retirement! Wow, the feeling of relaxation is just unbelievable! I'm so relaxed now I'm actually discovering more ways to live on less! So I thought I'd share them here.

1) I know this is obvious to some but it completely surprised me. Obamacare. Since my income is low enough, I qualify for Obamacare. My health care insurance is now a lot lower than it was before.

2) Phone data. Now that I am spending most of my time at home or within a wi-fi area, I've lowered my data plan to the least expensive one. Also, I joined the "rewards" program that I never realized existed which will also save me money on my phone.

3) Leftovers. Reheating leftovers in the microwave at "that place" (I can't stand to say the "w" word anymore) was always a terrifying experience. Now that I can reheat at home, leftovers are wonderful.

4) Tax credits for gas/car maintenance. In South Carolina, starting 2018, there's a tax credit for gasoline purchases and car maintenance and tires. I'll be saving my receipts for that!

5) Manager's grocery store specials. Yesterday I picked up some heirloom tomatoes for less than half price because they were simply re-packaged by the store and not in the original packaging. Just as good and nothing wrong with them. I've never noticed stuff like this before because I was always in such a hurry when shopping.

Peace,
Dana
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.