Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
First, whichever EMPLOYER you're getting this FSA through, be sure to tell THEM (specifically their HR benefits unit) about these problems. They won't directly fix the problem, of course, but they will raise heck with the company managing the FSAs and inform them that if they can't do the paperwork properly they shouldn't really expect to see the contract renewed - or perhaps even last as long as planned.

I don't know if it will do any good, but I'm having dh email his hr person. There is no hr person on night shift :).

Basically, fraud is occurring. (Note that I did NOT say that YOU are committing fraud. Or that anyone else is doing so. Just that it's occurring.) The nature of the fraud is that you are getting reimbursed for medical expenses that you aren't paying. It will be no big deal, in the long run, IF your medical expenses that you SHOULD get reimbursed for are over the amount you're having withheld from wages for the FSA. But if that doesn't happen... the fact is that you are the beneficiaries of this fraud.

When doing ANYTHING related to tax law, "Don't worry, it'll work out later" is generally bad advice.

I totally agree, which is why this worries me so much. The FSA Company is basically telling the government that we spent money, so we aren't paying taxes on it, but we didn't spend any money. But, there's definately no problem with us spending the money on medical care, eventually. It just really makes me uncomfortable.

Basically, you need to get the FSA managers to STOP looking at the insurance papers. At least in regard to your son. Tell them this IN WRITING, with a request for WRITTEN acknowledgement, and keep dated copies.

That's a great idea, and I'll draft a letter today.

The plot thickens, slightly, because I reviewed the paperwork they sent with the check. The first two pages were reimbursements for my son's therapies and medications, but on the last page, was reimbursement for 2 weeks of my daughter's nursery school. Instead of separating it out, they put it together into one big check. *sigh* My husband went to bed early this morning, so he won't be able to call them until this afternoon when he wakes up.

I guess, if nothing else, this is a good way to get the whole family in for an annual doctor appointment :P.

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.