Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
… has joined wrestling at his high school. We think at this point it is just the club level wrestling. He joined up at the urging of his friends. My guess is that since he just barely over 100 lbs he is being recruited to fill out the lighter ranks.

Mrs. Lock and I are shocked. For the past three years we have been trying to get him to join anything. Today he hops in the car when Mrs. Lock picked him up and just said, "I've joined wrestling so you don't have to pick me up until 3:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays."

Wally
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
The power of peer pressure can sometimes be a good thing. Good luck to him in his wrestling!

c
No. of Recommendations: 0
DD joined chorus, orchestra, cheerleading, and now color guard under similar circumstances. As far as I am concerned, this is all good. Particularly color guard, which has meant 6-8 hours of practice most weekdays for the last month. She needs exercise more than most people because of a chronic health condition, and this is exactly the right kind and level of exercise for her.

And to tie it back to the board title, it means that we are getting to bed an hour later than we should be. Which makes 5am look more bleak than usual, and leads to me falling asleep and going on carb-hunting expeditions in the afternoons.

ThyPeace, school starts on Tuesdays and practices back off to afternoon and early evening at that point, so only the football games on Friday nights and all-day competitions on Saturdays will affect my sleep.
No. of Recommendations: 4
DD joined chorus, orchestra, cheerleading, and now color guard under similar circumstances.
At my high school, color guard would have eaten all of the time for the other three. They moved from band competition to dance competition to color guard competition which ended just about in time for them to go to band camp to start all over again.

Wally,

P.S. FirstLock enjoyed the first day of wrestling so, so far so good.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Popping in for this:

At my high school, color guard would have eaten all of the time for the other three.

The only thing I really miss about raising a teenage girl is watching the color guard performance and competitions. Harder than it sounds, amazing when the hours of practice & discipline pay off.

cm,
admires all sportsparents/bandparents
P.S. FirstLock enjoyed the first day of wrestling so, so far so good.

Yay!

impolite
Yay!

He told me, "The mat was softer than I thought." Which is not a bad way to remember that our fear of something can often be worse than the real thing.

Wally
DD joined chorus, orchestra, cheerleading, and now color guard under similar circumstances.

At my high school, color guard would have eaten all of the time for the other three.

Yeah, I didn't write that well. She joined them in series, and has now dropped all but the color guard. I hope this one lasts the last two years of high school, assuming her health continues to improve.

ThyPeace, not really enjoying all the driving, and steadfastly refusing to join the set building parties. Which gives DD the opportunity to be more independent. I choose to see that as good.
...this is exactly the right kind and level of exercise for her...

Yay! So glad to hear her health is improving. You had some very rough years there.

...5am...

When DD was in high school, before she joined the diving team she checked whether I could commit to getting her to the pool at 5:00 every day. I said "sure!" not realizing she meant a.m.
As a completely random-but-still-on-topic reply....

I dated a wrestler in high school. One of the most embarrassing moments I ever had was when my mother, after meeting him for the first time, inquired “doesn’t it hurt when you get pushed against the ropes?”

Umm...not that kind of wresting, Mom.

And Yay! For First Lock.

Isewquilts
Not to be Eeyore but you and Mrs. Lock may want to discuss how you would handle him deciding to quit if that comes up.
Yay! So glad to hear her health is improving. You had some very rough years there.

It was really quite awesome to see their first demonstration show last night. I was a marching band kid, so some of it was nostalgia. Even more was seeing her able to move so freely and with so much energy. Man, that was absolutely delightful. And now that I've seen it, I understand why she's been eating everything in sight. It's the most exercise she has gotten in her life, I would say.

The show is pirate themed, so DD was decked out in her pirate garb. Someone had braided her very long hair and wrapped it around her head like a bandana. It looked awesome. And I'm glad she was not at my house last night. I foresaw a long effort to get it undone again.

ThyPeace, she was, of course, perfectly on-rhythm and in step. That's an inborn trait with her that she gets from both her genetic parents. Her flag tosses were all okay -- no drops, no major misses. She's still a little awkward with them, but that will improve in time. She's in the "easier" group of the guard -- the harder group is doing rifle. She'll get there.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Not to be Eeyore but you and Mrs. Lock may want to discuss how you would handle him deciding to quit if that comes up.

For now, it is easy. This is actually "Open Gym" that the wrestling coach is taking advantage of to expose kids to wrestling and let them know what it is like. Actual sport wrestling starts in October, so he has a few months to see if he likes it. If he does we will have the discussion about what it means to commit to a season. Practice will be every day. He's the only kid in his weight class and that has a lot of advantages and disadvantages.

Wally
I dated a wrestler in high school. One of the most embarrassing moments I ever had was when my mother, after meeting him for the first time, inquired “doesn’t it hurt when you get pushed against the ropes?”

A quick thinking guy could have said "Your daughter and I have not reached that point in our relationship yet".

PSU