Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Anybody?

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
You would think New England style clam chowder would be a useful starting point. Cream sauce with potatoes. No corn. Usually with salt pork as the starting point in the oldest recipes.
Paul:

Yup. My wife just is looking for her old recipe and hasn't found it yet! She remembers it starts with clam chowder, plus cooked shrimp, fish, small potato chunks, spices, etc. We'll figure it out!

Thanks.

Vermonter
here's mine:

QUICK CHOWDER--Half an hour!
(1) Slowly sauté a large chopped onion in a tablespoon of butter.
(2) Stir in maybe 10 sprigs of fresh thyme, 2 bay leaves, 1.5 pounds diced potatoes, 3 bottles of clam juice, a cup of white wine, and simmer till the taters are almost done.
(3) Tuck 1/2 pound quartered scallops and 1 pound haddock (or cod) filets in the soup and grind some black pepper on top.
(4) When the fish is done, stir in a pint of half & half, breaking up the large filets.

It's delicious.
It's not as good with frozen fish IMO (esp the texture).

The secret to success is lots of fresh thyme.
alstro:

Closest yet to a reasonable recipe, since we found out the "base" can of clam chowder is absent from the cupboard! We do have a bottle of clam juice, canned clams, cooked shrimp, fresh fish (cod), half and half, potatoes, onions, white wine, and most of the rest. She's napping now but we may dive into it when she wakes up. (I am often the "sous chef", chopping onions, potatoes, etc.)

Thyme is a no-no, though. Sadly, that's one of two spices I simply cannot deal with! The other is cilantro.

Thanks again!

Vermonter
In retrospect, I think the wine is really the secret ingredient. Have a glass w/the chowder, too ;-)

=alstro, had enough leftover homemade green curry pork for dinner tonight. No, it wasn't as good as the local Thai joint's, but the pork turned out very tender. Missed Thai basil. Unlike the chowder, which IMO is better than any I had from a can or in a restaurant.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Well, we managed. A prime ingredient was missing from the cupboard -- a can of creamy clam chowder! So we tackled the meal with what we had, and ended up with some delicious chowder!

We (I) chopped up onions and potatoes and started sauteeing those. Then we also used a can of clams, some clam juice, fresh cod she had bought, white wine (we love pinot grigio and always have that in the 'frig), frozen cooked shrimp, half and half (no cream available), a garlic clove (minced), and various spices.

It came out delicious! We ended up with enough to refrigerate for another meal, too.

Thankfully, she's a skilled cook and I'm available to help chop, slice and dice!

Vermonter
Thanks for sharing, Vermonter. Sounds like you are having fun.

And well fed too. Good for you!!