Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
After leaving a phone charger plugged into my cigarette lighter for a year or two, the lighter got loose (meaning you can wiggle it around) and no longer worked properly. Asked the dealership how much it would be to fix it and they said they would have to replace it entirely, which would cost 300 bucks.

Some others on the motley fool indicated that they have fixed various problems on their own, so I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion (bearing in mind that I am not terribly mechanical but am willing to give it a shot!).

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
The socket can be replaced or you can buy a socket with a pigtail that will connect to a large enough size positive wire, or directly off the fuse block, and a ground - Should run around $15 for the parts... dunno about the labor charge - Replacing the socket in the panel could be much more costly, as surrounding components may need to be removed and getting at it may require a contortionist.

Bob
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have to ask, what car has a $300 cigarette lighter assembly that costs about $1.50 to make???

I'm guessing if you leave it plugged in all the time, its American, as almost all foreign cars will not charge via the cigarette lighter 12VDC outlet when the key is removed.
I'm guessing if you leave it plugged in all the time, its American, as almost all foreign cars will not charge via the cigarette lighter 12VDC outlet when the key is removed.

I have a foreign vehicle where I keep the charger plugged in all of the time. Sure, it doesn't charge when the key is off. I'm just too lazy to unplug the charger.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Lea,
What kind of car do you have? make/model/and year helps out the answers a lot.
I have a foreign vehicle where I keep the charger plugged in all of the time. Sure, it doesn't charge when the key is off. I'm just too lazy to unplug the charger.
Me 2, and one of them has the same problem.
Lea,
What kind of car do you have? make/model/and year helps out the answers a lot.

+1. This thread is pointless without knowing the car.
A little research reveals that Lea has a 2003 Hyundai Elantra.

http://boards.fool.com/hyundai-elantra-worth-looking-at-grea...
A little research reveals that Lea has a 2003 Hyundai Elantra.

Wonderful to hear. I can probably find out where she lives, her college and download her credit reports, but most days I have other things to do.
:)
Sure, it doesn't charge when the key is off. I'm just too lazy to unplug the charger.

This is exactly what I did.

I have a Hyundai Elantra.

A little research reveals

Heh. Thanks, sorry.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Most lighter sockets have spring prongs stamped into the assembly to provide tension and a good connection. You might try carefully prying them back out again with a dentist's pick or something similar. Otherwise, it's usually a relatively simple replacement procedure, with the barrel unscrewing from the head that you can see from the outside. You might also consider a unit from an auto supply store that plugs into the outlet, and supplies three additional outlets. They aren't too ugly.

Richard
Most lighter sockets have spring prongs stamped into the assembly to provide tension and a good connection. You might try carefully prying them back out again with a dentist's pick or something similar.

That's an interesting idea. I'll try that and see if it helps.
I've a couple of these in the "cigar" lighter as well as an aux 12v outlet in the back seat, giving me 4 USB charge ports, with the main 12v dash outlet still free to charge the Garmin...

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Powerjolt-Dual-Universal-Micro...

they just live in the socket, use as needed out on the road... Couple cords in the console...

Also, in the RV trailer, I added 12V outlets next to the bed for the same setup...