Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I've been hitting a Mexican market now and again. It's a bit of a drive from where I live, but it is so worth it. For example, at my local grocery stores radishes are oftentimes $0.98 or $0.99 for a small bunch. I swear I've bought some bunches that have six radishes.

At the Mexican market? THREE FOR A DOLLAR! The first time it was $0.25 each. I was a bit disappointed when I returned and found they raised the price 8 cents, but I'll deal. Believe me when I tell you I'm making up for the gas costs with my radish purchases, we *love* radishes. Oh, and these radishes are flavorful and HOT. *LOVE THAT*!

The meat is very good. The price savings isn't as significant, but still pretty good. One thing I bought just because it intrigued me was "flanken ribs". These are kind of interesting! They're cut flat, against the bone, so when you're done eating you have a bunch of little quarter-sized disks of bone on your plate instead of big, huge cow rib bones.

When I went searching for recipes I was dismayed to see almost every site recommended long, slow brazing. Crud, wasn't up for that! I did find a recipe that recommended quick, hot, intermediate doneness with a particular marinade.

It was delish. I changed the recipe almost immediately after finding it. For example, the original recipe only called for orange juice, and I didn't feel it gave the right balance. The addition of chili is absolutely necessary for my family, and I use Huy Fong's Sambal Oeleck.

Added bonus: minimal sugar. That's important to us these days. We've barely had any ribs at all this summer because we became so accustomed to Sweet Baby Rays. Oh damn that stuff's good on pork ribs.

Where was I?

Oh yes, beef flanken ribs.

So, here's what you do: 3 hours to 24 hours before cooking, mix and marinade:

3 tablespoons garlic
3 tablespoons ginger
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
3 tablespoons brown sugar (I know what I said about minimal sugar, but this is a marinade and not a sauce thickly coating ribs)
3 tablespoons green onion, sliced fine

Option: Add some non-vinegar chili sauce or diced peppers or cayenne powder

If you're not going low and slow with these ribs you need to go fast and carefully done. Medium is about as done as you want to go.

We're having more tomorrow. I told my spouse I only got 2 pounds and he's upset because that means the leftovers will be minimal. He was hoping for two lunches of leftovers. :)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.