Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Flat screens don't have the fat margins CRTs did.
Post-it litter is not only out of fashion, it's somewhat impracticable.

I never said I had a flat screen (at the office). I have an old 19" Dell CRT clunker that I salvaged from storage. It's got a really thick bezel all around, takes forever to warm up, and takes up a huge amount of space on my desk. I'd gladly trade it for a Dell (or Apple, or any other brand) flat screen, but we don't have any others to spare in our group. (The Dell replaced a 21" ViewSonic CRT monster that had started flaking out and making scary popping noises.)

Anyway, I wouldn't say my monitor is "festooned", but I do have Post-its on it most of the time. Maybe three to six. I put them on my monitor because I don't want them on my (physical) desk, but I want them close to my line of vision so I'm always reminded of whatever to-do or other bit of information is covered by them.

Yes, I occasionally use Stickies or Mac OS X's To Dos in iCal or Mail, but paper Post-its are yet another case where Apple and the Mac have not provided an interface that is clearly superior to physical media. Post-its on my monitor, and in a pad next to my telephone and pen at the office, are always available, don't require me to switch applications or bring an application to the foreground, don't require me to hook up or boot up my MBP, etc.

As for how I use them, while I'm not a practitioner of GTD, I've heard of it and sort of understand the idea. A lot of the time, I put individual To Dos on individual Post-its with the goal of finishing off a day's To Dos. The act of pulling a Post-it off my monitor and throwing it away after a task is done yields a small tactile reward that is a lot more satisfying to me than clicking a check box or closing a window.

-awlabrador
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.