Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm not finding an answer to this question.

I am spending $4600 on LASIK this year and I am enrolled in Flexible Spending for $3000. Can I use this flex spend as a way to push my health care spending over the 2% AGI mark in order to write off further expenses?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I am spending $4600 on LASIK this year and I am enrolled in Flexible Spending for $3000. Can I use this flex spend as a way to push my health care spending over the 2% AGI mark in order to write off further expenses?

No, for two reasons. First, for medical expenses, the rule is 7.5% of AGI, not 2%. Second, since you are not paying taxes on the $3000 through the use of the Flex Spending account, you cannot count it toward deductions, or deduction limits - that would be double-dipping.

AJ
I'm not finding an answer to this question.

Perhaps you're not finding an answer because you are mixing apples and hand grenades (to quote another regular on this board).

Your flex care spending reduces your AGI because it reduces your salary/wages and AGI. However, the medical expenses which are paid with the flex care account are not deductible, because they were not paid with your after tax dollars. The $1600 remaining LASIK expense is a deductible medical expense provided you itemize and meet the threshhold criteria of 7.5% of AGI, not 2%.

Ira
hand grenades, ouch i chipped a tooth.

Okay, making more sense. I read that the Flex Care Spending is a fringe benefit given to me by the company at the cost of not paying me $3000. I am not going to hit 7.5% (unless they fry my eyeballs!)

I wonder why the Flex Care expense has to be medically related then.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I wonder why the Flex Care expense has to be medically related then.

Because that's the deal written into the tax code. Put aside some money for medical expenses out of your paycheck. Don't pay tax on that money. Spend that money on medical expenses and you get tax-free money to pay the expenses.

--Peter