Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Flitt writes:

I spoke with Waterhouse about opening a Roth IRA. I wanted a contributory Roth for my $2000 per year that I could also roll my IRA from my old 401K into.

They make it seem like there is no such animal. Is this right? Do I have to have two accounts and pay double commisions to trade my Roth money?

O.k., you have to stay after school for failing to pay attention in class. We covered that issue extensively last week. Obviously, you weren't paying attention. To the blackboard, young man, and write 100 times "I will read the posts daily."

As part of the IRS Restructuring bill just enacted, Congress eliminated any and all need to keep contributory and conversion Roth IRAs as separate accounts. However, this freedom to comingle the monies hasn't registered with all Roth providers yet. Keep complaining. My guess is by the end of the year all Roth providers will eliminate that idiotic requirement.

Also, will I be taxed when I buy and sell securities inside of a Roth IRA?

No, no, a thousand times no. Trading within an IRA of any type is not a taxable event.

If so, I'd want to wait 366 days to balance my portfolio , correct?

The 366 days is of importance only in a taxable account so you can take advantage of the long-term capital gains rates instead of being hit with short-term capital gains at ordinary tax rates. There are no tax impacts on trades in the Roth, so if you want to use 364 or 365 days instead of 366, it matters not.

Regards….Pixy

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.