Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Fools,

Reportedly, many cars from hurricane-affected areas are showing up in used car markets, without disclosure that they were flooded and damaged. Be careful out there!

Thanks to Milligram46 and dbruce100 for the following links:

CNN.com Car Storm Damage Article
http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/01/27/hurricane_cars/index.html

Free CarFax Flood Damage Check
http://www.carfax.com/cfm/general_check.cfm?partner=PRL_A

Richard
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Now can we stick these links over here? ------------------------------->

Duck
No. of Recommendations: 2
Yeah, I was working on it :)
SA-WEET! Thanks Foolish gods!
Just to make sure - a Carfax report will report the vehicle's area of origin, isn't that right? For example, I live in WI and have checked Carfax reports on 3 vans we're looking at. 1 had 1 owner in Wisconsin, and 2 are vehicles that were leased in Michigan. So none of these 3 cars could have been flood damaged.

A reputable title reporting company should be able to identify cars that originated in flood-zone states.

No. of Recommendations: 1
a Carfax report will report the vehicle's area of origin, isn't that right?

As I recall, the full report you buy lists the state where the car was first titled or registered, and may report subsequent titles and registrations. The free flood report link only returns the number of records found, and if the car was reported to have flood damage. I wouldn't depend on the report exclusively, but if it shows a hit for flood damage, that's good information.

Richard
I wouldn't depend on the report exclusively, but if it shows a hit for flood damage, that's good information.

Exactly - it's not fool (notice lowercase "f") proof.