No. of Recommendations: 0
Not being an original "fluffian", I love the pronounciations here.

I've been off the boards for a week, I think, and returned to find over 4,000 new messages on LBYM. Deep breath and thank the Fool Genius who thought threads might be a good idea for these message boards!

I've missed two b-days (giftedhands, 30 isn't all that bad! and Amy, I'm assuming you've also hit this milestone, so same to you).

So about setting up another meeting -- Rather than try to accomodate everyone's schedule everytime we would like to get together, I suggest we try to set a regular date (ex. 5th of the month) or day of the month (ex. third Thursday) and a consistent meeting place. This will make it easier for other Fools who might not be able to regularly attend, but would like to pop in every so often, to know exactly when/where we will be. Of course, it would also help to post a message with time/place in the subject line a day or so before the meeting.

Any thoughts?
Print the post Back To Top
This sounds like a great idea. What we really need is someone to set a date, find a place to have it and probably play host too. I'd like to participate in the next event. If it should turn into a monthly thing, that's all the better.

Did the group that went to Friday's a couple weeks ago have any problems there? Maybe that's a good place to start. Is that location really convenient? It is for me, but I'm not sure about anyone else.

Any other thoughts?

Rex
So about setting up another meeting -- Rather than try to accomodate everyone's schedule everytime we would like to get together, I suggest we try to set a regular date (ex. 5th of the month) or day of the month (ex. third Thursday) and a consistent meeting place

Are you referring to the Philly group or the Pittsburgh group?
I haven't been on the boards for a while now, but am so happy to see that Philly Fools got together!

I would love to join the next outing!
Why not stick with what we started?

To that extent, I propose the 10th of the month.

I think Barnes & Noble/Borders was suggested by someone? Anyone have an idea for a specific location?

-Terry
Did the group that went to Friday's a couple weeks ago have any problems there? Maybe that's a good place to start. Is that location really convenient? It is for me, but I'm not sure about anyone else.

Actually, at the Particular Friday's we attending the service was quite slow at times... I arrived ahead of everyone else so I sat at the bar and ordered a drink while I was waiting... I canceled the drink order after waiting 25 minutes.

Also, we were left to wait an extensive amount of time for our table even though I had called an hour ahead for seating; the sign at the door said there was no wait. When I inquired (politely, I have witnesses) about the table, the staff was short with us. It wasn't until I spoke with a manager that we were finally seated. Someone who I know that works for Friday's (different location) told me that the City Ave. location has issues and in in the middle of some management changes aimed at resolving them. While I am a big fan of Friday's, I won't be going to that location again for some time.

To be fair, once we were seated our server was very attentive.

As many of us are readers of the Consumer Credit and LBYM boards (and some of us are in the process of paying off some debts), the suggestion was raised (I'd give credit but I can't remember whose idea it was) that we meet at a place that would not compel everyone to spend money. The consensus was to meet at a Borders, Barnes & Noble, or some similar location. This would allow us to meet in a cost-free location, while anyone who wanted to could still by snacks and/or beverages.

Someone mentioned that a new Borders or B&N (I forget which) has opened recently in Norristown/Plymouth Meeting, just off of exit 7 or 8 (new exit #18 or 19) of the Blue Route (I-476), but this was never deiceded for certain.

Anyone have any specific suggestions? If we're settled on this location, does anyone know exactly where it is?

Talk to to you all soon!
-Terry
Are you referring to the Philly group or the Pittsburgh group?

We're referring to the Philadelphia Group... the "Fluffian Fools" in the subject line is FinancialFemme (who is from Michigan IIRC) making fun of the way we Philadelphians slur our words together. Fair enough, but we Pennsylvanians don't use our hands as a map. ;-)

In any case I guess we all have our linguistic quirks. They make for fun conversation.

-Terry (pop is was balloons do)
I haven't been on the boards for a while now, but am so happy to see that Philly Fools got together!

I would love to join the next outing!

We're all excited about it too... we had a great time out the last time around.

Please do join us next time, the more the merrier!
-Terry
I'm sorry I missed the first meeting and would like to go to the second one.
But Plymouth Meeting is too far out of the way for me.

Is everyone else from around that area?

I'm located in Center City, though City Line Ave is fine for me.

My suggestion would be in a bar or lounge somewhere...people can eat or drink, but are not obligated, and the atmosphere is casual.

The only thing with Borders or Barnes and Noble is that the environment is more "library" like, therefore we would need to be quiet and considerate of others there.

Just some thoughts. Thanks.
I'm all for bars, but usually they want you to be drinkin' or be leavin'. If Cat can suggest any bars that would just let us hang out, I'm okay with that.

Terry suggested the 10th of the month, which is a Tuesday in April. I was thinking more on the lines of 2nd Saturday of each month or something like that.

There's a Barne's and Noble and a Houlihan's right on 611 in Jenkintown. Is that too far out? How about something near Penn's Landing? That area has access from I95, but I don't know any place to go down there. Let's hear some more suggestions.
Hi. I also missed the first meeting and would like to be included in the second. As far as suggestions, I was thinking maybe Starbucks would be a place to meet. There is one near Plymouth Meeting, across from the Plymouth Meeting Mall. I don't know how big the group was the first time, so I'm not sure if Starbucks (or Barnes and Noble, for that matter) would have room for everyone to sit together.

We can always meet at a food court in a mall (like King of Prussia, Willow Grove, or Springfield).

I hope it all comes together. It would be fun to meet everyone.
There's a Barne's and Noble and a Houlihan's right on 611 in Jenkintown. Is that too far out? How about something near Penn's Landing? That area has access from I95, but I don't know any place to go down there. Let's hear some more suggestions.

This may be inconvenient for some of our Western Suburbs people, but OTOH it is walking distance from Noble tran station (R3). I know last time we didn't get too loud, could we maybe try to find a B&N/Borders in or near the city?

If there's enough interest, perhaps we could do this twice monthly, maybe once at a bookstore or some such, and once at a bar? If there's enough interest (and it seems like there might be) this could be feasible... there's a group in Alexandria that meets weekly for happy hour, but admittedly it's a bigger group than we have. Thoughts?

-Terry
Oh, one more thing. I mainbly said the 10th for 2 reasons:

1. That would vary the day of the week and therefore better accomidate people who would like to attend but might not ever be available on a given day of the week due to work/personal/family issues.

2. I'll be away the 5th-8th, and I imagine many others will be away Easter weekend (I am actually available that weekend though, if others are). This would push us back to the 21-22 of April. Of course, nothing is stopping anyone from organizaing something for the 7th or 8th, but I won't be able to addent and therefore am not voting for those dates. If anyone else wants to organize something for that weekend, though, I would not be offended. If we're doing a weekend date, though, I would much prefer 4/13, 4/14, 4/20, 4/21 or 4/22.

Most of the places I know near Penn's landing are expensive... perhaps we could save that for a late spring or summertime picnic though?

-Terry
There is a Barnes and Noble in the city at 18th and Walnut. There are also a billion coffee shops all over town.

How many people are we talking. I wasn't at the last one..how many came?

I would suggest meeting either once a month and trading locations (my only problem is that my car was totalled a year ago and when I realized how much I didn't miss it and the incredible amount of money I was saving, I didn't replace it), or if the meeting is once every two weeks, do one in town and another in the suburbs.

Where are most people from?
I am good any night but Tuesday.

Thanks!
At the last gathering, we had 5 people. We hailed from Feasterville, Ardmore, Drexel Hill, Germantown, and the art museum area. From the activity on the board I would anticipate significantly more (maybe 10-12) this time around. 18th and Walnut could be good as it is convenient to parking and public transportation. Perhaps we could meet there and if there is a subset of the group interested in a few drinks (I would probably be one of that subset), those people could always split off from there after things break up.

Just a suggestion....
-Terry
Sounds great to me... I suppose we just have to wait to hear from others... looking forward to a meeting!
Yep, I suggested Barnes and Noble or the other bookstore that does approximately the same thing.

I can reach any place.

Kathleen
Terry,

I as I made the suggestion, I will look into the exact locations.

Catleen
Sorry, I cannot be around smoke, any kind of smoke for any periods of time.

Meeting at a bar would be a bad idea for me.

Catleen
I just finished sending my inquiries off for store locations. Of course, there is always the possibility that I might grow old and die before they answer...

The thought that occurred to me about Star Bucks, is that the tables might not be large enough (not that we are expecting a cast of thousands.)

I am gearing up for the next meeting by reading a financial book.

Catleen
There is a Barnes and Noble on 18th and Walnut, if it suits everyone. I suppose the sooner we can agree on a date, the sooner we can meet.

What to you think?
I have no problem getting there, but I wonder where a large group would sit at the Barnes & Noble on Walnut Street. I've been there, and it isn't a particularly large store. I didn't sit in the cafe, but I don't imagine the tables would be very big.

If this is going to be a regular thing, it's possible we could rent a space, like maybe at a library or at the Ethical Society, which is right across the park from the Barnes & Noble on Walnut.

I go to a monthly book discussion at Bucks County Community College that is very nice. If we did something like that, people would still have an opportunity to go to a restaurant or a bar or whatever afterwards if they so desired.

It all sounds like fun, anyway. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.
I have no problem getting there, but I wonder where a large group would sit at the Barnes & Noble on Walnut Street. I've been there, and it isn't a particularly large store. I didn't sit in the cafe, but I don't imagine the tables would be very big.

If this is going to be a regular thing, it's possible we could rent a space, like maybe at a library or at the Ethical Society, which is right across the park from the Barnes & Noble on Walnut.

Daniele,

I am anticipating probably no more than 12 people at the next gathering, so I'm guessing we'll probably be able to make Barnes & Noble work. If nothing else, we can always take over a corner of the cafe -- we'll just move a few tables if we have to.

I am relunctant to look into renting space only because that would mean a cost to pass on to those who attend -- as noted many are trying to pay off debts and/or build up emergency funds, and though I think most would agree that the value would outweigh the cost; I'd be relunctant to ask anyone to incur an expense for something that could be had for free.

It is possible, though, that we might be able to get some space for free -- for example, I am in a juglers' cllub that gets (I believe free) space from the Fairmount Park Commission for its meetings. I do have a contact at the Fairmount Park Commission, who coincidentally I will see tonight. I will ask him what would be involved in getting meeting space, or if it is even a possibility. I believe the only requirement is that the group be open to anyone who wishes to attend, but if our goal is to Educate, Amuse and Enrich, that's a good thing, right?

Anyway, I'll look into it and let everyone know the details so we can make a decision.

I go to a monthly book discussion at Bucks County Community College that is very nice. If we did something like that, people would still have an opportunity to go to a restaurant or a bar or whatever afterwards if they so desired.

Daniele, can you give me details about the book discussion group? Dpeending on what kinds of books they discuss I might be interested in this. Also, do you live in Bucks County (I'm in Feasterville/Trevose)?

-Terry
Terry:

Since the Barnes & Noble at 18th Walnut is not that large, perhaps we could look in another area. I looked at the web sites for B&N, Borders and StarBucks but they did not have listings for stores by state. That, I thought, would be the easiest. I asked and we have to look by zip code.

Now I can certainly search by zip code in my area (since I know them) but doing it in phila, I don't know the areas.

Can someone supply me some zip codes and perhaps we can find a B&N or Borders that is a little larger???

Catleen

There's a Borders Bookstore in Springfield, Delaware County that is really big and I think would be great for our meetings. It's always a very hopping place whenever I go there. Of course, I don't know how far that is for all of you. It is located about a mile off the Blue Route. I think it would be a great place to meet, but again, I'm not sure how far it is for some of you to travel.

There's also a Barnes & Noble in Broomall, but it's not that great. I'm pretty sure there's another Border's on Route 30 near Bryn Mawr.

If I think of any more places I'll let you know.

~Amy
Can someone supply me some zip codes and perhaps we can find a B&N or Borders that is a little larger???

One of the ZIP codes very close to City Hall is 19102 (that covered my father's restaurant, which was 2 blocks away). That would probably be a good ZIP to use for beginning a search.

-Terry
There is a Borders at 1727 Walnut Street. I will be downtown tonight and "scope out" both the Borders and the B&N, time permitting.

-Terry
I would like to propose that we meet at B&N on Walnut Street. Though, there is a slight possibility that the cafe will not accomodate us, there is a HUGE Starbucks (or Xando) right across the street. Better yet, why don't we just plan to meet at the coffee house instead. I KNOW that it will work fine.

I would also propose that we begin to focus on a time and date.

If, for whatever reason these venues don't work out (which I strongly doubt), we can also use the opportunity to plan the next outing.

I propose we meet Thursday, April 5th at 6:00 pm.

Thoughts? Catherine.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hey all!

As promised I checked out a couple of possible meeting places downtown. Here's what I found out:

Barnes & Noble (1800blk Walnut): No space appropriate to accomodate a group of our size. Also, parking concerns as noted below.

Borders (1700blk Walnut): No space appropriate to accomodate a group our size. Also, parking concerns as noted below.

Xando Coffeehouse (1700blk Walnut): Plenty of space, and they will take a reservation, however in this area parking is typically EXTREMELY difficult. Prices are comparable to Starbucks for coffee and they also offer light-fare food (sandwiches and such) -- typical sandwich price is about $7 if I recall correctly.

Lloyd Hall, Fairmount Park: We can probably get a weekday evening or weekend day slot in which we can use the second floor to meet. This is a beautiful location right on boathouse row (my jugglers' club meets there), and we would have the option of going outside in the summer months. The Fairmount Park Commission requests a donation of $10 per session, or $100 per season, from any group wishing to reserve space. A season lasts 6 months. Location is handicapped-accessible. Free parking is available.

Philadelphia Public Library, main branch: I have not yet called anyone for costs/availability but there is a meeting room on the fourth floor that can be reserved for use... there is also a rooftop deck that we would be able to use during nicer weather. My contact believes this location is also handicapped-accessible. Parking primarily consists of metered parking and garages.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know... My vote is for Lloyd Hall, but, of course, I'm open to other ideas.

-Terry
I propose we meet Thursday, April 5th at 6:00 pm.

I'll be landing in Houston then. Does anyone have any objection to Thursday, April 12?

-Terry

The 12th is fine with me, as is boathouse row or the library.

One Question: What exactly will be the purpose of our meeting? I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that this was somewhat of a social gathering, in which I would understand a public venue.

My possible misunderstanding comes when we are discussing (not that I oppose) the reservations of meetiing rooms. If we are meeting to have a meeting, what is it about? Also, what if only a handful of people show up (nothing against a handful).

Thoughts?
Hi all. I can't make it on the 12th because that's when my book discussion group meets this month (the one I mentioned in my previous post). Also, 6 p.m. is a little early for me, as I have to come directly from work. If I can't make it to this one, I'll try to make it to future get-togethers. I have no objection to the proposed meeting places, though my preference is for somewhere with a parking lot (I'd rather pay for a meal at a restaurant than waste $5 or $10 on parking).

I'm looking forward to meeting you all. I think it would be nice to meet people who are interested in and educated about investing.

One Question: What exactly will be the purpose of our meeting? I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that this was somewhat of a social gathering, in which I would understand a public venue.

My possible misunderstanding comes when we are discussing (not that I oppose) the reservations of meetiing rooms. If we are meeting to have a meeting, what is it about? Also, what if only a handful of people show up (nothing against a handful).

It would be a social gathering, which is the main advantage to a coffeehouse or some such. The hard part is finding one with adequate parking that is also and accessible from public transportation and at least one major highway. The place I suggested at Lloyd Hall is a park building... to describe it as a "meeting room" is probably not entirely appropriate. I would much prefer a coffee house to Lloyd hall, but again the challenge is finding one that most anyone can get to.

I know there's at least one person who had an idea that he hasn't gotten around to posting yet... maybe that'll be our answer?

Absent that I'm going to keep working on this.
-Terry
No. of Recommendations: 1
I think XANDO would be the place to meet, but I wouldn't be able to make it on a Tuesday or Thursday night. As Terry said earlier, parking would also be a problem. Has everyone ruled out the "food court" at one of the area malls? If we wanted to meet in Center City we could go to Liberty Place or The Gallery. If parking is a problem there's always the train. If we had it at one of the suburban malls, then parking isn't a problem. I'd hate to see us book a room for what sounds like a 30 minute get together, especially one without access to food and drink.
The thought that occurred to me about Star Bucks, is that the tables might not be large enough (not that we are expecting a cast of thousands.)

Isn't there a Starbucks near/on South in Philadelphia? If so, that might accomodate everyone's needs as there are bars aplenty for those who wish to imbibe afterwards. As I remember, this location has two floors with sofas on the second floor. Unless it's crowded, there should be enough room for people.

The B&N on Walnut would also be convenient for me.

I am gearing up for the next meeting by reading a financial book.

What are you reading?

Barnes & Noble (1800blk Walnut): No space appropriate to accomodate a group of our size. Also, parking concerns as noted below.

Borders (1700blk Walnut): No space appropriate to accomodate a group our size. Also, parking concerns as noted below.

Xando Coffeehouse (1700blk Walnut): Plenty of space, and they will take a reservation, however in this area parking is typically EXTREMELY difficult. Prices are comparable to Starbucks for coffee and they also offer light-fare food (sandwiches and such) -- typical sandwich price is about $7 if I recall correctly.

As for the cafe options, XandO sounds like the best one. Parking is a pain because they restrict meter access during rush hour. I live close enough that I can walk, but I wonder about others encountering major parking trauma.

Lloyd Hall, Fairmount Park: We can probably get a weekday evening or weekend day slot in which we can use the second floor to meet. This is a beautiful location right on boathouse row (my jugglers' club meets there), and we would have the option of going outside in the summer months. The Fairmount Park Commission requests a donation of $10 per session, or $100 per season, from any group wishing to reserve space. A season lasts 6 months. Location is handicapped-accessible. Free parking is available.

I would be interested in meeting here -- are there food/bev options?

Philadelphia Public Library, main branch: I have not yet called anyone for costs/availability but there is a meeting room on the fourth floor that can be reserved for use... there is also a rooftop deck that we would be able to use during nicer weather. My contact believes this location is also handicapped-accessible. Parking primarily consists of metered parking and garages.

If you haven't already called, I can walk down and find out this info. There is a "cafe" across the street in the Whole Foods Grocery Store which also provides free parking for customers.

I also agree that we should set a date/time and that picking a consistent date as opposed to day might be the way to go. My schedule is flexible, so I will wait for the majority decision and then see if it works!

There are a billion Starbucks/Xando type places on both ends of town.

How about the Xando on 3rd and Chestnut or another place on that side of the city. Parking is much better there with street parking and meter parking.

Have we settled on a date? How about Wednesday, April 11th?

Catherine.
If you haven't already called, I can walk down and find out this info. There is a "cafe" across the street in the Whole Foods Grocery Store which also provides free parking for customers.

Clarification: It's not Whole Foods (that's what we called it in the "hand state") -- it's Fresh Fields. It's right across the street from the back of the main library. It has a cafe with seating, a deli and free parking. The cafe is never crowded and they have single's night on Wednesday or Tuesday.
This works for me.
Fresh Fields sounds good to me, too. I'm not sure where that particular one is, but I'm sure I can get directions if we end up meeting there.
Fresh Fields is real easy to get to. If we confirm that it will be our meeting site, I will post easy directions for everyone.

Catherine.
Hey, the investment club I am about to start has already met in KFC on the 700(?) block of S. Broad St. We will get a drink, some food and then talk, talk, talk.
Have you thought about a fast food place?
We have also met at my house once, although that is too far for some of our NJ members to drive.
keysafe0
I probably won't be able to make too many of the gatherings, but will try and make it out to one or two. As far as after work gatherings, center city is kind of tough due to lack of free parking.

Now that the weather is nicer, I wonder if anyone would be up for getting together for an outdoor walk. It is one thing that almost anybody can do with no equipment needed. The area has plenty of good places for this:

One that is great on weekends is the “natural area” of Fairmount Park where the Roxborough section of the city borders Montgomery County. The natural area is wooded, and off limits to mountain bikers. And only about a 300 yard walk to the very beginning of the “Forbidden Drive”, the big road sized trail that runs for 7 miles along the Wissahickon creek.
The good thing about going in through the “natural area” is that I know where the “Secret” parking lot is off of ridge avenue, (at Northwestern ave.) which is the only lot that will have extra spaces for 5 to 10 cars on a nice spring day. There is also a Friendly restaurant to get food, coffee, or ice cream.

The Natural area isn't a good place for after work, as that parking lot closes at dark. However the other parking lots on Bells Mills road, off of Henry ave., and off of Germantown aren't as hard to park in after work. The two where Bells Mills road intersect with Forbidden Drive, should be able to accommodate an after work group. From there you can either stay on the man trail, or go up on any of the mountain trails on either side of the creek. I think this is nicest area of Fairmount park. The forbidden drive trail is lit, although not exactly full of activity after dark.
Oh, and both these areas can get muddy FYI.

Further into the city, the trails along Kelly drive are a nice place to walk, and they have enough parking as long as they are not running any Crew races. This is also the best place to see good looking people, and unlike the wooded areas of the park is nice an sunny. However if you get a hot summer day, you may notice the air quality is noticeably worse than the wooded more suburban type areas.

Out in the western suburbs Valley Forge park has miles and miles of nice trails and is also nice an sunny. Unlike Fairmount however, it doesn't give you plenty of rest benches if you get tired. I like to do the main 5 mile loop, which might be ambitious if you are out of shape. But if we get some people together, we could park in different lots, so you could cut this in half. There is more than enough parking at all times, and VF also closes at dark. If you like “peaceful” this place doesn't have many people after Memorial day when people start going to the shore en mass. If you like deer, this is your place as the park is overrun with them due to no hunting allowed.

Saturday's are usually good for me, while Sunday's are kind of on and off as I play in a Sunday softball league starting soon. I am open to other ideas for areas as well, just post them on the board if interested. I am not at all hung up about being “included”, if a certain date place and time works for other people but not for me, by all means go for it.

Other than walking, I'm more of a restaurant/bar than a coffee house person.
Now that the weather is nicer, I wonder if anyone would be up for getting together for an outdoor walk.

ClubJuggle likes to go for walks. :)

Lisa
just trying to help
Nice suggestion. I don't prefer Phila area to meet because of the parking as well. (however that is not why I didn't show up, out of town guest and some emergency computer work for my dad).

Catleen
Come on Club Juggle/alias Terry, could we think about a nice walk next time??? I really do hate being indoors, especially in nice weather. I like VF park idea.

Catleen
Come on Club Juggle/alias Terry, could we think about a nice walk next time???

Just know that he walks fast. ;)

Lisa
able to walk fast again, finally
No. of Recommendations: 2
Lisa:

Well, if he walks too fast for us old folks or out of shape folks, then I am going to carry one of his juggle thingys and pop him on the head. After all, the result should be that we can walk and talk at the same time. Not pant for dear life! After all I have to be able to walk, talk and sneeze all at once.

Catleen
Well, if he walks too fast for us old folks or out of shape folks, then I am going to carry one of his juggle thingys and pop him on the head. After all, the result should be that we can walk and talk at the same time. Not pant for dear life! After all I have to be able to walk, talk and sneeze all at once.

Catleen,

I'm sure he'll behave well. He takes those juggling clubs everywhere, even to Texas, so just grab you one and do what you need to do. ;)

Lisa
non-Pennsylvanian