No. of Recommendations: 2
FogChicken,

If you want to stick to index funds, that's great and that's your choice. If you're saying that discussions about getting the most out of actively managed mutual funds are out of place here at TMF, I would have to disagree with you. One thing I really like about the Gardners is that they are always open to having their assumptions questioned. They may not change their minds, but they are open to the dialog. The long-held TMF assumption that index funds are "still your best bet" should be questioned, and I'm very pleased that Shannon and other TMF writers are doing just that, even though it seems like a taboo issue in some people's minds. There's no doubt that actively managed mutual funds can beat index funds, consistently. The question is exactly how you go about doing that. It's an important question to a lot of people, and I applaud the Gardners for starting the mutual funds newsletter and generating this dialog.

Don
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.