Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Follow up question; Given this situation, rent aside, what else would I need to keep track of as far as expenses are concerned? I would assume the airfare (if I were to pay for it) would be tax deductible, but what about mileage to the airport and meals while I am away from my home in MO?

Yes, since you are on a business trip. Here's the IRS list of deductible business travel expenses from their website (Pub 463 is also a good resource.)

Deductible travel expenses while away from home include, but aren't limited to, the costs of:
- Travel by airplane, train, bus or car between your home and your business destination. (If you're provided with a ticket or you're riding free as a result of a frequent traveler or similar program, your cost is zero.)
- Fares for taxis or other types of transportation between the airport or train station and your hotel, the hotel and the work location, and from one customer to another, or from one place of business to another.
- Shipping of baggage, and sample or display material between your regular and temporary work locations.
- Using your car while at your business destination. You can deduct actual expenses or the standard mileage rate, as well as business-related tolls and parking fees. If you rent a car, you can deduct only the business-use portion for the expenses.
- Meals and lodging.
- Dry cleaning and laundry.
- Business calls while on your business trip. (This includes business communications by fax machine or other communication devices.)
- Tips you pay for services related to any of these expenses.
- Other similar ordinary and necessary expenses related to your business travel. (These expenses might include transportation to and from a business meal, public stenographer's fees, computer rental fees, and operating and maintaining a house trailer.)

Note: When using your personal car, if you are using the standard mileage rate ($0.58/mile for 2019) you should keep a written log of the mileage, like:
40322 - 40342 - trip to airport from home
40342 - 40362 - trip home from airport
40362 - 40758 - personal use
40758 - 40778 - trip to airport from home

I would again reiterate that your company should be reimbursing you for these expenses, or you should have an hourly rate high enough that it will fully cover these expenses even without the deduction.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.